Monday, February 1, 2010

The Day the Music Died

Don McClean wrote and sang, about February 3rd, that "February made me shiver...with every paper I'd deliver...bad news on the doorstep; I couldn't take one more step." It was the day that Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and The Big Bopper were killed in a Wisconsin plane crash. It also happens to be D2's birthday!

What a lovely weekend we had. Saturday Wifey and I went to see the fine film "Crazy Heart" with Florida's best med mal defense lawyer, Norman, and his lovely immigrant wife, Deb. Deb's Canadian, which is really, to me, sort of like another Northern state, but I still like calling Canadians immigrants...

Afterwards we shared great conversation and food, and then marvelled as Norman extracted his large crossover vehicle from a parking lot that, while we were at the movies and dinner, had become infested with a flock of ancient Volkswagens. Norman manauvered deftly, and we left with no damage to the Beetles and Microbuses, as their owners chatted happily about air cooled engines and followint the Grateful Dead, back in the day...

Sunday D2 and some of her friends and I watched the Canes, who didn't choke, for a change, and beat the Seth Greenberg-coached Virginia Tech team. Greenberg used to be a Canes assistant, and I watched him during the game. He looks like a young Don Rickles, and appeared, several times, to be having a massive stroke. It's much better to watch college basketball than it is to coach or play it, in my opinion.

But back to D2...She turns 18 Wednesday. The Day the Music Died has been to Wifey, D1, and me, the day the joy came. We adore this young lady, and are immensely proud of her. She's been a terrific student, and colleges are frothing at the proverbial mouth to have her attend (another UM, Maryland, accepted her over the weekend).

I love watching her with her friends. She's so kind to them, and tweaks them constantly, at the same time. She's gorgeous. She can look you straight in eye and completely B.S. you (I wonder from whom she inherited THAT characteristic?).

At a post game frozen yogurt stop yesterday, she announced to her friends Amanda and Rebecca, that she was officially proclaiming the start of her "birthday week." She had her tongue firmly in cheek, of course. That's just so D2 --underlying sense of purpose, shrouded in blarney.

So, Wifey and I (and D1 from Gainesville) assume our roles this week to honor our baby girl as she enters adulthood.

February 3rd --the Day the smiles multiplied.

No comments: