Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Yahrzeit

Today, July 14th, is the 27th anniversary of my father's death. In the Jewish religion, it's called Yahrzeit, and one is supposed to light a candle and remember the death with prayers in the shul. I've been skipping the religious part for some years now. I truly wish I could be a true believer, but I can't.

Anyway, I'll probably drive to the sea and speak to my father. That's where his ashes were spread.

I think and write about him often, but have REALLY been doing so this year. I guess we see ourselves in our children, and D1 is the age I was when he died. I see how close D1 and D2 are to me, and it keeps bringing back memories and thoughts about my father.

His widow, my mother is STILL here. She'll be 90 in 9 months. To my nearly 21 year old perception, she was an old lady when she lost her husband. What's an old lady plus 27 years?

Well, life goes on, of course. No one one on this planet is so important that their death stops the show. My father was a retired salesman, only really missed by his children, wife, and grandchildren.

So, in his honor, I'm going to do what I always do: keep on keepin' on, as the brothers used to say in the 70s.

D1 is busy at school and interning, D2 is on her way to my office to answer phones, and Wifey is planning her errands today. Ancient mom is adapting to her new, car -less (also largely careless) life.

Dad --I've tried to carry on. I still miss you.

No comments: