Monday, June 8, 2009

Intimations of Paternal Mortality

I attended the depo of a client today, whose father died in an accident last December. My client is in his late 20s, and succesful. He's married, and has close friends and family.

He spoke very lovingly of his father. I related, of course.

Most of my closest freinds have lost their fathers. Last Saturday, I had breakfast with Dr. Barry and Dr. Vince. We all spoke about our dads --mine gone the longest --since 1982.

My partner Paul, my friend Mike, my dear friend Eric, my favorite brother in law --we're all fatherless.

My client's father was about the same age as my Dad when he died. Too young.

Wifey's father is still alive --in his mid 80s. I remember when he had bypass surgery in 1989 --the surgeon hoped it would give him another good 10 years. He's doubled that, of course, and still doing pretty well. He's so fortunate to have the gift of all of these years.

My client is not an emotional fellow. He spoke in clear language about how he misses his father.

After his depo, I drove him to the train station. I told him that I was not yet 21 when my father died, and, like he had just testified --he was my best friend. I told him my Dad died 27 years this July. He asked if I ever got over it. No, I told him.

His life goes on, of course. He and his wife are trying to have a baby. His career is going great. I'm going to win him a big chunk of money in his lawsuit.

Still --he misses his father.

I miss mine, too.

No comments: