Friday, June 19, 2009

Father's Day

So this Sunday is Father's Day. My partner (law, not domestic) Paul called and asked me what my plans were. I told him the one thing I really wanted to do, I couldn't. He asked what that was. I told him it was to spend the day with my father.

That said, I never make a big deal out of the day. Ds 1 and 2 used to go to the same summer camp, and the orientation and "kick off" was always on Father's Day. They had a big jamboree, and we all learned that summer's song, typically a silly ditty sung to the tune of a popular or Broadway tune.

Wifey and I savored those days --watching our happy little girls giggle with their friends, away from the pressure of school. Now we're closer to taking grandchildren to events like that. It's ok --it's been a fine ride through their childhood.

D1 is up in Gainesville with her boyfriend. They'll be in Disney World on Father's Day. I told her I didn't mind her being away --if she's happy; I'm happy. D2 is stuck with us, and Wifey's parents will probably come over for the standard Canton take out lunch. D2 will be resting after her first week of working as our summer receptionist.

So, Father's Day I'll probably get up early, and read the Sunday paper, and watch the dogs run around. I still miss you, Dad. I guess I always will.

No comments: