Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Vacation

So Wifey and I went on a 4 day cruise with Ds 1 and 2 and my old, dear friend Eric and his family. We went on one of those new aircraft carrier sized ships, the Navigator of the Seas. The ship is like a floating Vegas hotel. It has an ice skating rink, 1500 seat theatre, and an entire shoppping street, with bars and shops, with new urbanism-style rooms looming 8 stopries over the plaza.

I kept thinking of my father seeing such a ship, and how he would have marvelled at it. I also pointed out to all of us that, as third generation Americans (except Wifey --she's a foreigner), our grandparents came over to the US on ships somewhat less luxurious and comfortable.

Anyway --we had a blast. We laughed heartily, ate heavily, and drank a bit. On Cozumel, the one stop, we hired a driver who took us to the San Gervasio ruins. We were underwhelmed, but the refreshment center had high level tequila. Eric and I had a couple of shots. We then went to some seaside restaurants, and drank, um another 4 shots each. We ended up at a breathtakingly beautiful beach, where the Caribbean Sea's waves break over volcanic rock --Playa Sur, I think. Eric and I ended up taking off our shirts and dancing for our families, followed by a belly bump. I think our daughters wet their pants.

BAck on the ship, D1 got some awful news: one of her sorority sisters was killed on the way home to Ohio for Winter Break. D1 wasn't close with the girl, Michelle, but knew her pretty well. She was 21. Somehow, I don't think there will be Happy Holidays in that Cincinnatti home for awhile, if ever.

It brought back to focus how life's not fair, and tragedy strikes so randomly. We had Michelle and her family in our thoughts for the duration of the voyage.

We returned today, happy and relaxed. The trip cost a fraction of what our last, more exotic trips cost, and was a ton more fun. We decided there will be more family cruises.

So, it's Chanukah, and Christmas Eve. I feel for Michelle's family, and I don't even know them. I wish them, eventually, peace.

As for us --tomorrow is Wifey's birthday. She doesn't want anyone to mention that it's her 52nd birthday, so I won't.

It's amazing --this time thing. We met 1/2 of her life ago. She was 26; I was 22. We thought we were all grown up. We've built quite a life together, and are amazingly blessed.

This sea cruise was a capital way to celebrate.

No comments: