Friday, December 26, 2008

Now THAT'S a Fan!

I went over to Kings Bay Athletics to exchange a gift for my friend's son. We thought he wore a man's small; we forgot about the last 2 years of growth. From there, I went to the best French bakery in town, and had a delicious latte. As I drank it, I read in the local paper that a new sub shop had opened, in the very shopping center where I was! I took it as a sign from above that I needed to visit, and buy some sandwiches for Ds 1 and 2.

I entered the shop, and saw it decorated with Canes posters. The owner turned out to be a fellwo alum, and we chatted about the football team. It turned out that he was about 7 years younger than I was. He said he was the "biggest Canes fan."

"Ha, Ha," I retorted. You may be a big fan, but I'm 7 years older, and therefore was a fan longer --so I'M the biggest fan." I stood there, self satisfied, while his assistant wrapped by turkeys on whole wheat.

A little boy walked over. "Meet my son," said the owner, whose name is Rob. "Hello there. I'm Dave. What's your name?" "Sebastian," he answered.

Rob looked at me and smiled. He had named his son after the Canes Ibis mascot! "Wow," I said. "You're right --you ARE the biggest fan."

We each made the "U" sign, and wished each other Happy New Year, and Go Canes.

On the way home, I wondered if it was too late to change D1 and D2's names...

No comments: