Friday, December 12, 2008

Still Kicking

So D1 was going to drive home alone from UF, and I decided to take the train up to Grandma's house, have her pick me up, and accompany her on the final leg of the long drive.

I took Metrorail to TriRail to Delray Beach. It was nice to read the entire NY Times instead of dodging 18 wheelers on I-95. I took a taxi from the station to Grandma's condo. The Haitian cab driver said "Dis place have lots of old people, yes?" I told me that my mother moved here when she was already old, and that was nearly 30 years ago! He laughed, so I gave him a huge tip.

Grandma is still kicking. We went to lunch at Fratelli's, a local Italian place. We had eggplant parm, minestrone, and iced tea --for $4.99 per person! I didn't think prices like that existed in the First world anymore!

What a blessing it is to have a mother live so long. She's a bit goofy and on a several second delay, but still in good spirits.

As it turned out, the weather in North and Central Florida was awful, and Wifey decided to accompany D1 after all. Grandma loved seeing them.

I've decided that Grandma, who turns 89 in April, needs a visit every 2 weeks or so. It's a schlep, but the right thing to do. I mean --she's Mom, right?

So, we have both D1 and D2 in the house until 2009. D2 is working much harder than I ever did in high school, and her mid terms are next week. She's looking forward to a well deserved and well needed rest during the holidays.

As for Grandma --still kicking!

No comments: