Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Lonely Surgeon

So D1 had to have a cyst removed, and needed a surgeon. She was going to do it up in Gainesville, but decided against it, lest her recovery time interfere with her summer finals. She wanted to do it here, get healed, and leave a few days later for UF.

So --getting a qualified surgeon for a completely elective procedure in no time flat --ha --as if! Well, I called my dear friend Vince, a former anesthesiologist, and he called a top guy and made the appointment. D1 had the removal today, and her surgeon spent as much time chatting with Wifey and me as he did operating.

We compared notes about Vince, and how much he missed him at the hospital. We also chatted about Barry and Eric, since Barry runs a Residency PRogram, and Eric trained at Harvard, where the surgeon went to college and medical school.

The surgeon said "You know --I really don't keep in touch with any friends from college or med school, and I wish I had. You're a lucky guy Dave."

Well, this guy didn't go to Harvard for nothing! Of course I'm lucky, and a main reason is the wonderful friends with whom I share this trip called life.

Yesterday D1 and I visited my mother, and then Eric and his family on the way back. D1's turning 20 soon, and Eric's kids are a senior and freshman in high school. Eric met Dana when she was YOUNGER than D1. It amazes us.

We're blessed to share our lives --education, weddings, kids growing and moving away.

Yes, Dr. Canning, you're a wise and skilled man.

No comments: