Saturday, August 16, 2008

First Day of School

Some of my sports minded friends love baseball's opening day. That never did much for me --I really only watch baseball at the end of the season, when the pennant races are going on. For me, a favorite day was always the first day of school.

I used to love seeing old friends, and the anticipation of meeting the new teachers. Of course, one first day for me --in third day, was filled with as much anxiety as an 8 year old could have.

Late in the season of second grade, my friend Michael Monahan and I got the brilliant idea of throwing rocks while on the back "blacktop" of East Broadway School at midday recess. We hurled with glee and abandon, until a young teacher came over, rubbing her head. One of us had beaned her!

We each got pink slips, which were disciplinary notices. When you got 3, you had to each lunch in the principal's office --the height of embarrasment. I got 2 that year --Michael made it to the big three. I still remember his screams as he was led off to the awful punishment --pleading like a comdemned man.

Anyway -- fast forward to the following Fall. Michael and I sat together, and in walked the teacher. It was her --the lady we had beaned! Miss Dempsey! Michael and I both began to fidget and sweat, convinced that she would spend the entire school year paying us back for what we had done.

It turned out that she had forgotten, or at least she never brought it up. As I recall the year (now nearly 40 years past), she was a terrific teacher. I remember specifically a trip to NYC and climbing the Statue of Liberty, all the way to the crown, and learning in the days of NYC yore, they let you all the way up to the torch!

When my own girls were young, I also loved taking them to school. The atmosphere was charged. Optimism was everywhere. The screw ups hadn't screwed up yet. No one had been disciplined. No one had failed any tests.

I'd introduce myself to the teacher, and kiss my girls goodbye. Recently, D1 told me she remembered how proud she was of her well dressed, "hot young dad" as I took her to school.

Of course, those days ended for me years ago. D2 is starting 11th grade. My last allowed visit for the first day of school was when she was in 5th grade. Now, she'll get up and drive herself.

But --one tradition will survive! I always take the Ds pictures in front of a tree --to see how little they grow relative to the tree. On this coming Monday, I may even wake D1 and make her stand outside (she returns to UF on Thursday).

Then, as I drive past all of the schools on my way to work, I'll think of all of the first day memories being created inside, on the day before any disappointment sets in.

1 comment:

Monica said...

HELLZ no are you waking me up at 6:30 am on monday. i have been and will be the precisely same height since 2002.