Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Debating The End Of The Year

 Ah -- the pleasure of living without an enormous neoplasm hanging over my head! I much prefer it to the opposite.

So yesterday I met my trainer J, who is dealing with a stubborn, failing father -- a retired surgeon. Poor guy is 74 (the Dad, not the trainer) and has had 2 strokes and an MI and is in a wheelchair. He checked himself out of the ritzy rehab at UM, and my poor man was going to meet all day with his mother and advisors about the fellow's future care. Since Wifey and I have experience with 3 of these declining before death parents, I was able to share some wisdom -- the bottom line of which it sucks and it gets worse. I told J to plan small future periods -- not long term. When an aging parent is in decline, parts move rapidly, even though the parent doesn't.

And it occurred to me, I HAVE arrived at old age. Last week: my retina guy. Monday: colonoscopy. And today, blood draws, ECG, breath tests, and all limb blood pressures ahead of my annual physical. And boy do I have white coat syndrome. The nurse Monday was threatening to cancel the procedure since my BP was 180/110. Luckily Dr. Shah overrulled her -- my heart and O2 were fine. 

Sure enough, in the calm of today, my BP was 130/80. It's always something.

Last night we had Ronni over to watch the boring VP debate. We brought in Wu's Kitchen, and I poured Ronni a few cosmos, and myself a few plain martinis. We spoke of politic and Israel. Ronni is a long time Republican, but will NOT vote for Trump. She's going to hold her nose and vote for Harris. That made Wifey happy. As for me, I'm over it -- have been for awhile.

I got a call from my California sister as I walked --upset about the Iranian missiles hitting Israel. Last time we spoke, it was clear her Israeli politics are aligned with The Squad -- I ended up livid. So this time I said "Turn the channel, don't worry about it, and unless and until you really take the time to learn the history of Zionism and Israel -- let's avoid the issue. She agreed.

It's funny -- from my parents' 3 kids, only I have a strong Jewish identity. I'm only somewhat observant, but as today starts Rosh Hashonah, I take it seriously.

We're supposed to take stock of our lives during these Days of Awe. I plan to -- I can't change the where have I been part, but I can affect the where are you going?

We're headed to D2's in the afternoon -- Wifey and D2 do pilates with a friend who teaches it at home. I'll fetch the Little Man at preschool, and then we head to Jackie and Ricardo's for RH dinner. D2 and Jonathan are celebrating with his family -- the pull between Venezuela and Colombia.

But the plan is we have our own post RH dinner Friday -- at the Palm. There'll be a NY strip awaiting, I'm sure. I'd rather eat there than a Michelin starred place any time.

So I wish all a sweet and healthy new year. May we all be inscribed in the Book of Life for another year on this wonderful, crazy planet.

Nothing is guaranteed. So while the party is on -- I plan to savor each moment of it.


No comments: