Friday, June 10, 2022

Innkeeper Again

 So last weekend we were rained on, not just cats and dogs, but lions and Great Danes. Pinecrest apparently got 13 inches.

Unfortunately, the apartment D2 and Jonathan are renting in Sunset Harbor had a leak -- into the bathroom, but pretty serious. The management company came out and put in big industrial fans and a dehumidifier, but the result was an apartment with noise levels like being on the tarmac at MIA.

D2 and the enormous puppy stayed over after our early FD celebration -- Jonathan was headed to Nashville early Monday, and so just went back to the apartment to sleep.

Wednesday, Jonathan returned from Nashville, and went to his office in the Gables. D2 and I met him for dinner at one of my favorites -- Captain's Tavern. Jonathan got there early and got my favorite table in the corner of the bar. He had never been before -- only had their takeout. He found the place just as musty and gringo as he had thought -- we had a delightful dinner, with martinis and very fresh fish.

Today, around 4, D2 and the puppy left, to fetch Jonathan in the Gables and then head home to a fan-less, and hopefully dried out apartment.

I barely had time to prepare for my next set of guests: Wifey and Edna. Well, Wifey isn't technically a guest, but the two of them are coming from their stay at the Setai on the Beach -- Edna flew in from ATL to see her girl Lauren who was staying there. We're meeting at Platea for dinner -- the new best restaurant in Pinecrest, which, despite demographics a restaurant owner would salivate for, has very few really good restaurants.

I think Edna is spending just one night, and is off to ATL tomorrow.

My innkeeping duties resume Thursday -- but only for a canine client. Betsy is coming back -- D2 and Jonathan are heading to see friends in ATL, taking advantage of the new Juneteenth federal holiday -- and returning Monday. They'll fetch the enormous puppy then. But she won't be away long.

D2 and Jonathan are finally getting to , hopefully, go on their long plague delayed honeymoon late July. We'll dog sit then.

I love having those near and dear stay here, although sometimes the absurdity of our house occurs to me.

Friendly handyman Nestor was over today, to replace the leaking toilet valves and flush flaps -- some are original, from 1997, and look like animals chewed them up.

He does a lot of high level houses -- 8 figure places in the Grove and Miami Beach -- so our house is kind of typical for him.

Still, I realized we have SIX toilets.  I contrast that with most of my friends who grew up on LI in Levittown with large Catholic families -- one bathroom for 9 or 10 people. We had three in our house -- one in my parents' bedroom, one in the hall, and a half bath down by the washer and dryer, which used to regularly flood until we got sewers instead of cesspools.

I had a long talk yesterday with Wifey's friend Cara -- she just put her condo on Venetian Island up for sale. Her late husband bought it in the early 80s for $40K -- she's going to get well north of $1M. She wanted to bounce off options about her next place -- and asked if I ever wanted to move to a condo.

Nah. I'm social, but LOVE being able to NOT see people if I choose.

Plus, if we had a condo, it'd be tougher to be an innkeeper. And then I'd lose one of my jobs.

No comments: