Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Slower News Days, Thankfully

 I am and for years have been a news junkie. I check local, national, and international news constantly throughout the day, and often share humorous articles with my friends, many of whom share my addiction.

Lately, there has been a LOT of news -- most of it bad. The plague, gun violence, anti-semitism. So I am relieved that, for the past few days at least, the bad news has been slower in coming.

The last awful shooting was up in Royal Palm Beach, at a Publix. It was chilling -- a grandmother with her nearly 2 year old grandson were killed by a nutcase, randomly, who then killed himself. The Publix was near my friends' kids' house -- could have been anywhere. It was awfully scary -- when a murder happens, you like to get some comfort in thinking that you could have not been the victim.

Humorously, someone from NYC texted me after the mass shooting in NW Miami several weeks back -- which occurred at a hip hop record release party. I responded that I generally avoid hip hop events without security. I was smug; no way I was going to be at a scene like that -- but a suburban Publix?

Yesterday there was a report of one shooting -- in Miami Gardens. This one wasn't seemingly gang related. A young woman killed her boyfriend in their car -- probably after telling him "If you cheat again, Ima kill you" and she did. Of course it's terrible, but somehow a woman losing it on her man seems somehow less tragic than the other way around. Maybe it's because of the "Chicago" song "He Had It Comin."

Other local news tidbits were about the spread of coyotes throughout S Fla. I can deal with that -- though Wifey does let our little special needs Spaniel wander around the front yard. I'll remind her maybe that's no longer such a great idea.

And then there was GREAT news -- for FIU. MacKenzie Scott, Jeff Bezos's wonderful ex-wife, gave FIU $40 million! She's giving away billions, and in the coolest way possible -- no buildings named after her, no restrictions, just "I know you got a worthwhile place going there -- here's huge money to help you along."

Turns out it was the second largest gift to FIU. The biggest was from Mickey Wolfson -- he gave away a ton of his historical tchockes, along with a building on Miami Beach -- but though the value was $75M, FIU has to curate and show the stuff. MacKenzie's gift was unrestricted -- just for use to hire professors and give more scholarships.

I was WAY impressed. Wealth amazes me when it's used that way. Had she bought herself jets and yachts and mansions and bling -- eh. But giving away tons of money to higher education -- and to places that open higher ed to poor kids? That's something.

My nephew of another brother Scott joked on our text thread that he was happy as long as the money didn't go to Duke. Scott's a Maryland grad, and the two schools, basketball rivals, make fun of each other. I assured Scott he needn't worry -- MacKenzie's gifts go to schools that have tons of poor kids -- ain't many of them at a place like Duke.

So even though politicians have warned us of a long, hot Summer, I'm hoping it's not the case. May the plague continue to fade away to an awful memory -- affecting only those too stupid to get jabbed.

Longtime newsman Ralph Rennick used to end his broadcasts with "And may the good news be yours." Indeed.

No comments: