Sunday, June 20, 2021

Might As Well Go Full On Mule

 Ah -- Father's Day. The celebration of the mule -- plodding ahead, carrying the burden, and hopefully doing it with a dash of dignity. FD is a po relation to MD -- no drama ever resulted from someone forgetting FD -- and that's ok.

Yesterday I had a terrific one. D1 came early with the beautiful toddler, and aging Spaniel. Wifey had ordered the food from Joanna's, and as she left to go fetch it, D1 and I reminded Wifey she needed to truly focus on her driving, and as she left she asked D1 about a pair of shoes. Much laughter resulted.

D2 and Jonathan and the enormous puppy came, and we ate in the dining room. It was time for a toddler nap, and so I volunteered, and took the little man around the 'hood. He was PTFO in about 10 minutes -- and it was hot and yoooomid, as Wifey says. I stopped for awhile, and sure enough he woke up, so I gave him some agua and resumed the walking. He passed out again.

Joey was finished with golf, and was going to drive down, but I knew that would impair his ability to drink with me, and so I ordered (with D1's tech help), an Uber. He got dropped off in time for a bit more of the nap walk -- and then we all went inside and I poured some cocktails. Jonathan was working, and had to wait.

Eventually, we were all imbibing -- even D2 had some sparkling wine - and I asked everyone to go around and give a brief presentation "What Father's Day means to me." We laughed, but also shared some heartfelt words, and the little man was having a blast getting licked by various dogs and exploring Villa Wifey -- followed by one of his adoring relatives. He is truly absurdly adorable.

The young-uns left -- D2 and Jonathan for a dinner with friends, and the young parents to let their little man have a bath and then to sleep -- and Wifey and I watched some TV and called it a night.

This am, actual FD, I thought there might be breakfast in bed. So I waited a bit. Nothing. Then I got up and walked 4 miles, and came home, and got lovely FaceTime calls from both Ds -- headed to their suegros for a barbecue and lunch at a place in Aventura called Perl's. Still no breakfast.

Then, I figured -- I must have had it confused. Since FD is the celebration of the mule, what is more mule-like than FIXING breakfast in bed for the mule driver. And so I did -- making a mushroom and egg scramble, coffee just the way she likes it, and a perfectly toasted bagel -- and I brought it to Wifey who was just getting up at 11.

When you're a mule -- might as well go full on mule.

But on a happier note, I was reminded of the great line by Chris Rock: they don't give out grades for being a daddy, but if your daughter dances the pole -- you get an F. And so, as on each FD -- feels good to get a passing grade.

No comments: