Friday, February 12, 2021

The Game of Concentration

 I used to watch a lot of TV as a kid, and one of the shows I remember was "Concentration." You'd see a clue on a big board, and have to remember where it was later. Turns out, living a successful life is a lot like that game.

So the pool guy has been here all week, pressure cleaning the coping, and resurfacing the pool. Supposedly he'll finish today, but I have my doubts.

But Tuesday morning, Humberto reported to me, in Spanish, that the electric he was using from a garage outlet wasn't working. And sure enough, when I went to fetch him a water bottle from the garage fridge, I realized it was off, too. Thankfully, my work as Leche Dave is on hold, and there was no precious D1 milk in that freezer -- though it wouldn't have spoiled, as the fridge was only off a few minutes.

So I set about figuring out which breaker controlled the garage. I reset some -- no dice. Great, I thought -- I'll have to call an electrician -- my fears about there being no easy construction project were coming true. When you fix one thing, another breaks.

And then -- Eureka! I remembered something from about 10 years ago. The garage fridge was plugged into a GFCI box! I moved the unit, and re-set the GFCI -- and - voila! Power was restored.

I learned this the hard way a decade back -- when I DID call an electrician - and he showed me the problem. But these days I'm happy if I remembered what I ate for lunch the day before - let alone some home fact from a decade before. But this time my "Concentration" paid off -- I made the fix without further hassle.

Meanwhile, we continue to slog on through the plague. Yesterday was our day to decamp from the house, so that Miriam could do her cleaning, and D2 denied us a visit. She had been with some friends for a Super Bowl/Puppy Bowl watch party, and doesn't want to "kill her Mom," as Wifey has only had the first Pfizer jab.

So we drove to D1's instead, and got some grandson time, as well as delicious bagels and nova from Bagel Bar, D1 and Joey's nearby deli. It was fine stuff.

We left as D1 was going on a Zoom presentation, and drove to Kendall. The pre pandemic traffic is back -- took us a full hour -- the Dolphin was clogged as usual.

We arrived and had our permitted 30 minutes with my ancient suegra. She was in fine spirits -- large as ever. It continues to make me laugh -- I truly had never heard of a morbidly obese 96 year old -- but she is large, gelatinous proof of it.

Wifey showed her pictures of the baby, and she actually got that the adorable boy is her great grandson. She noticed my weight loss -- I'm down 40 pounds from anxiety walking and eating less. 

Most important to Wifey -- she said she was VERY happy living at the Palace -- the pace, the food, the fact that there is "nature" outside to live amongst.

We drove home, and I got in my final few miles of perambulation. 10 per day is my new typical amount.

I made it home after nightfall. Wifey was exercising in the house , since "80 degrees is my limit," and we've had a few days of unseasonably warm temperatures.

I was getting ready to bed, and my phone was buzzing -- apparently my FaceBook (tm) was hacked, and my contacts all got some link. Young Josh figured it out first and let me know, so I changed the password.

I actually remembered the existing one. Thanks, "Concentration."

No comments: