Sunday, February 14, 2021

Everything's Quiet on Valentine's Day

 Ah, the day of Amor is here. I sit writing, two dogs recently fed and happy, and Wifey snoozing away. I think back on VD Days past...

Probably my nicest memories, at least in the era of the Ds, were the first years we lived in our house. We had just moved in before VD of 2001, and I set up a table in our front courtyard, brought in delicious food from DiNapoli's, plugged in a boom box playing romantic songs, and treated Wifey and the Ds to our first outdoor meal in our new home.

Everyone beamed. Somehow we were living in a palace, at least to us, and we felt so privileged to be together dining among the tropical foliage. I really, really still love living here.

I think a few years later, I hosted a dinner -- this time for Pat and Susan, our across the street neighbors, Loni and Mike, and Maureen and David. I bought nice bracelets for all of the ladies and hid them under their dinner plates. They loved it. The Ds were pressed into service as my waitresses. It was another fine time.

Other VDs over the years were lovely moonlight concerts at Deering Estate -- jazz as we ate by the Bay. I always enjoyed the day.

Well, this year, in the time of plague, plans are more modest. Wifey and I are headed to D1's house -- Joey is out playing golf. I think D2 is coming, too -- Jonathan has to work -- investment analysis going on. We'll bring in lunch from one of the neat MiMo restaurants, and play with the beautiful grandson. Ah -- life changes.

Friday was a fun set of Zoom parties. I hosted Barry and Josh and Eric and Dana and Kenny and Joelle. We toasted good news about the kids -- grad school acceptances, and coming grandsons, and a nice promotion and raise up in D.C. Still buzzed at 8:30, I got Wifey's friends Edna and Elizabeth on separate FaceTimes, and kept the party going. Wifey held court from her favorite recliner and enjoyed the evening fully.

Yesterday we were watching old movies, and D1 and Joey called. Could we get in the car immediately? We could. We drove to a parking lot to meet them and Joey's Dad, right next to the MIA runway, to watch the planes take off and land. The baby loves it -- watches them intently, and waves at them. We loved it, too -- just a simple hour or so with our beloved boy.

We came home and I literally watched water flow. I had the pool resurfaced, and the water inched back in from two hoses. The level finally covered the new Diamond Brite by 11:30, and I was able to shut off the water and sleep -- the final few inches are flowing in this am. The joys of owning stuff...

So hopefully this is the final VD in plague times. Maybe next year we can go do something public again.

We're all just grateful we have each other, and have each been gently shot by Cupid's arrow.

No comments: