Sunday, October 11, 2020

Still Not Back

 Ah, to be a Miami Hurricanes fan. When I first joined the club, in the Fall of 1979, I had moderate expectations. The school had discussed getting rid of football a few years before, and instead voted to give it one final chance. They hired a coach with NFL experience, Howard Schnellenberger, and his first season was my freshman year. They went 5-6, but we beat the hated Gators in the final game -- their WORST season ever -- they went 0-10-1. But football at the Orange Bowl was a lot of fun, and my friends and I enjoyed it. And then the team got better.

By my junior year, we went 9-2, and missed out on a bowl game because of some NCAA infraction. And then, my first year at law school, before classes began, we all drove to Gainesville for the first game. The Gators beat us handily, but there was a ray of hope: a freshman QB named Kosar who looked really good. Sure enough, we won the rest of our games, including one of the greatest -- an upset win over Nebraska for our first National Championship. I never thought I'd get to see that. And then, with 4 different coaches, we won FOUR MORE rings -- and should have won another, but for an all time blown call by a ref.

Well -- the glory days ended nearly 2 decades ago, and every season, we think "we're back" but then falter. The faltering came last night -- we were ranked #7 and played Clemson, ranked #1. Clemson is like we were back in the day -- and they beat us handily. Oh well...

I still look forward to returning, hopefully next season, to the tailgate parties, and great games. But as for being a top team? We may never pass that way again, at least in my lifetime.

But more importantly, Jonathan returned safely from his business trip to Mexico. D2 and he will get COVID tests tomorrow, and hopefully test negative, so we can all meet in person again. D2 will come over with her enormous puppy Thursday, and work here, so Miriam can clean her apartment. We've established a nice routine: I make her Daddy eggs for lunch, and then we bring in some food for dinner, and she takes some home for Jonathan. It makes Thursdays lovely.

I think D1 and her baby may come over next Saturday -- Joey may go golfing. That baby is a joy to be around -- chubby and chill -- and now laughing -- a lot.

Today I'll watch the Fins probably lose to the 49ers, and then the Heat, who I thought would be done by now, play game 6 in the Finals at 7:30. If they can somehow pull off another upset -- I think they may indeed win game 7 and bring home a championship -- with all the banging on pots and pans our fans are famous for.

So the Canes are still not back. And that's ok. I'm just glad they're still playing -- all signs of normalcy in these crazy times are welcome, indeed.

No comments: