Saturday, May 18, 2019

Meet the Mets

So D1's client is the Marlins, and she knows I follow them, but my first sports love was the NY Mets. I was 8 when the Miracle Mets happened -- the formerly laughable team won the World Series. It was my first sports love.

They're in town for a series with the Fish, and she got some excellent tickets -- right about the Marlins dugout in the stadium that sits on hallowed ground -- the sight of my beloved Orange Bowl, where my finest sports memories happened.

Dr. Barry, despite moving to So Florida from Queens as an early teen, still loves the Mets, and D1 thought we'd all go to the game. D1's man Joey is golfing near Orlando, and the plan was for Barry, Donna, Josh and I to be joined by D1 and Wifey for a Mets/Marlins night.

Well -- fate intervened. Josh went out of town, and D1 was feeling under the weather, and once Wifey learned that, she begged off, as did Donna. So now there were 6 premium, free seats.

I called Mike, and ever the trouper, had no problem turning around from Pinecrest and joining us. So three merry old Canes -- Barry, Mike, and I met across from the parking lot we tailgated for years, and walked inside Marlins Park.

The scene there, even with the historically bad team, was lively -- lots of folks having a grand Friday night. The crowd was easily half Mets fans, including a fellow sitting behind us with Archie Bunker's accent, who came from Queens to see his team.

Mike procured us some adult beverages, and the game began. It was a good one -- the Marlins anemic offense awoke, and they shelled the Cy Young winner Jacob DeGrom. But, even though they had a 7 run lead late, the laughable relief pitching let the Mets right back in the game, and the tying run was at bat in the top of the 9th when the game finally ended.

Barry had left an inning earlier, to fetch Josh at FLL, and later I got a photo of the two of them enjoying some late night Chinese together.

I love college football the most, but the games don't lend themselves to good conversation - especially when the Canes play well, we're all intensely involved with the action. Baseball is the opposite -- the three wise men caught up last night on world affairs, grown kids, careers -- the whole 9 innings. It was a great time.

This am I got up early and went to LOL, and was served by Lori, the long time waitress and now RN. She starts full time at Baptist in July. She loves Barry's boys, and I interviewed her on video about Scott's upcoming college graduation. She gave him some cheerleading. He loved it.

I think we'll have dinner with D1 tonight -- Joey comes back tomorrow night.

I'm due to leave Wednesday for D.C. -- attending Scott's graduation from Maryland J School on Thursday, and big dinner in D.C. Friday night.

Not a bad way to cruise through the end of May...I have a feeling I'll take in a few more Marlins games this season -- even if I buy the tickets myself.

No comments: