Monday, June 4, 2018

A Fine Weekend for D2

So Friday Joey, the Ds, Wifey, and I met at Ruth's Chris for our secular shabbat.  We ate and talked -- it was exquisite.  Afterwards we walked over to Houston's to meet old friend Steve the cop and Pat and Susan -- the latter bunking with Steve while here for a wedding.  The place was packed, and Susan and the Ds talked happily about their lives. Marie, their girl, just got her MFA from UF, and is heading to D.C. for a job as a writer. D1 used to babysit Marie.

Saturday Wifey and I dropped D2 at SoHo House on the Beach -- she and Jonathan had a room courtesy of member D1.  It's very cool there -- on Sunday our brunch made Wifey and I feel extremely old.  We wondered how all these young people had the money to stay and eat there.

But first...Saturday. We drove to Mo's, and had a reunion with Wifey's old friend Giselle.  I always dug her -- Jewban lady who grew up on the Beach. She moved to LA and met a younger guy -- an engineer, and they settled in Toronto. Giselle was back home for her Dad's funeral, and over coffee told us she badly wants to return to Miami -- her family and friends are here. When her husband can retire, they plan to make the move from the frozen North...

Paul fetched me, and it was off to Gulfstream. We settled at Christine Lee's, and had a fine time -- Paul even won us a few shekels. We were joined by young Vince, and Wifey and Giselle, and eventually by our bud Stu and his parents and kids. Bill and Mona were celebrating their 60th anniversary -- we toasted them.

I acquitted myself rather well in the martini department, and slept all the way home as Wifey drove. I plan to not go with any adult beverages until Friday, when we leave for Paris.

Sunday we met the Ds and their men. After brunch, Jonathan left for a farewell with his family. We then had the sad drive to MIA to drop D2. We hugged tightly -- we'll see her again in just over 6 weeks in NYC.

I knew I'd be down after saying goodbye to my girl, and Mike had planned a perfect antidote. Turns out that the classic Mel Brooks film "The Producers"  is now 50, and they remastered it to show on the big screen. Jeff and Lili and Mike and I met at a Peruvian place in the Falls -- they had cocktails while Jeff and I teetotaled -- and then we walked to the theater for the movie.

I had seen it several times, but it was still funny -- and this time we spotted character actors like the dude who later became Seinfeld's Dad...

I made it home to hear from D2 -- delayed, but safely back in the city so great they say it twice...

Today D1 and I spoke -- we both miss our girl.  We hope someday she lives here with us -- and if not, there will be very frequent trips up and down the East Coast.

As for us, Wifey has begun preparing for our trip. I'll pack the night before.  Chris will fetch us, parents already in the car, and drop us at MIA -- after a stop in the lounge, it'll be across the ocean.

The past D2 week was an exquisite one.

No comments: