Monday, March 26, 2018

Taxing Times

So it's tax season, and for me this year things were simple.  My personal CPA Mark and I had our annual meeting, followed by lunch, and then he called to deliver the news.  Turns out I actually get a refund this year -- thanks to some large charitable gifts, and the kindness of Hurricane Irma, which gave us substantial uninsured losses.  In that regard we were lucky, the Trump tax changes eliminate the deductions next year -- we would have owed money.

D1 is married to a CPA, though he doesn't practice, so one of my charges is off my responsibility list. Joey does their tax returns, and as with most things, he's careful and conservative.  My oldest is in fine hands.

D2 is not married yet, and so still on the Dad plan. Her returns were actually more complex, as she still lists Florida as her permanent home, but lives in NYC, and works in NJ.  So she has to do THREE returns -- federal, NY, and NJ. She was shocked to learn she has to pay the Garden State for the privilege of taking the PATH train under the Hudson and working in Hoboken.

It's clear to see why more and more business folks are abandoning NY for Florida -- the tax situation there is really untenable. This last Winter is also taking its toll -- it's nearly April, and they still had awful weather last week.  I'm hoping all of this drives my girl and her man Jonathan back to the 305 sooner than later.

So I spent a solid hour Saturday finalizing D2's tax forms -- as I age and get less sharp, I need to double check stuff I do.  There were current tax payments, and of course estimated payments for the '18 tax year.

As I finished, Wifey reminded me of other daughters of friends.  Their Dads do virtually nothing for them.  And the girls still idolize their fathers. We have one friend up North whose girl is getting married this summer. She insists on having her father walk her down the aisle -- not her mom, even though the Dad is a deadbeat who STILL owes child support dating back to the early 2000s, and mom is paying for the entire wedding. 

Point is, I could have saved tons of effort and money and still my Ds would adore me. Nah! That would remove the essence of who I am -- I wouldn't have it any other way.

In a slightly related matter -- our neighbors invited us to a fundraiser -- to build senior housing for LGBTQ Jews. At first, I thought it was a joke, but it isn't -- apparently aging gays and lesbians need, it seems, their own Miami Jewish Home, or Palace.  Really?  I mean -- the money they saved by not raising children, and they're still broke in their golden years?  Such are our times, I guess...

All I know is, Passover is approaching. This year we're invited to first seder at Joey's parents, in Aventura.  They're so warm and loving -- we look forward to sharing the evening with them. D1 has lucked into these people.  They're moving to a house just days after seder -- and D1's Suegra still insisted on hosting.  It'll be a lovely evening.

The next night we're going back to Miami Beach -- La Gorce - for a most upscale seder hosted by Paul's son Alex's in laws.  They've adopted us, too -- the Ds consider them their true extended family.  Bob and Lisa host my kind of seder -- dash through the question part, and get to the eating and sharing of company.

Following that -- we travel to NYC.  D1 and Joey go up Thursday to spend the night in Ds and Jonathan's Greenwich Village apartment, and then Wifey and I come Friday, and I move us all into the Edition -- my new favorite NYC hotel.  D1 has a tight itinerary -- Tenement Museum, lots of meals.

D2 and Jonathan scored a reservation at Carbone's -- THE Italian place in the Village. You need to luck out to get in -- our dinner is at 9:30 at night.  Saturday, I was with Paul visiting our friend Alan -- he's been there twice.  He tells me I'm going to love it -- the best veal parm he's ever eaten, and Alan is a Parm maven.  There will be characters there , he said, there's one table where the real big shots eat, overlooking all the other tables.  I'm really looking forward to living out my inner Tony Soprano that evening.

So Spring is here. Taxes are done and paid. Passover awaits.  All is fine.

No comments: