Wednesday, August 9, 2017

New Ride

I had five months left on the girlie Cadillac lease.  The car's been fine, but too small for me, and I had decided to either lease the Caddy crossover, or maybe their next biggest sedan.  Wifey was annoyed.  She knows my all time favorite car was my Lexus.  I had a LS 400, and it was stolen, and after the insurance company paid to replace it, it was stolen again.  This was back in the late 90s when a group of pros was stealing them and shipping them to South America.

After we moved to Pinecrest, I had a LS 460, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but that car now costs over $1000 per month to lease.  Not happening.  I leased Wifey a Lexus SUV which she had to have after riding in her friend Edna's car, and determining the seats were good for her back.  So the family joke became that I couldn't afford a Lexus for myself, since I had to lease one for Wifey.  I like to play the martyr card sometimes...

Anyway -- when we took Wifey's SUV in for service last month, she met Patty, the lovely Mexican Jewess who had leased the vehicle to me.  She told me that the mid sized Lexus sedan, the ES 350, was due for a major body change in '18, and they were heavily discounting the remaining 2017 models.  She claimed that Lexus would pay off my remaining Caddy payments, and get me the superior car for about what I was paying.  I told Patty I'd see her after vacation.

Sure enough -- I met with Patty yesterday, and the deal was true. I picked out a basic model, and told Patty that would be the one.  She ran my credit, and announced I had the highest score of anyone she had dealt with in over a year.  Yes, I replied, that's because I spend much less than I have, on things live cars!  She talked me into paying another $30 per month to get the fully loaded model -- with ventilated seats to keep my ample tuches cool in summer and toasty in winter, all kinds of alarms and buzzers, and a navigation system that could get me to the South Pole, if I chose.

I drove home with the girlie Caddy, and de -stuffed it in my garage.  I then took it to the dealer on 104 Street, and Carlos took possession.  He said he wasn't the "official" inspector, but the car looked in fine shape.  He saw my Canes license plate frame and we talked about the upcoming season.  From there, I walked across S. Dixie and to the Lexus dealer on 106 Street.  I was dripping in sweat, but they still did my final paperwork, and affixed my tag to the new car.

Then Patty took me through the technology of the car -- it is really remarkable. The main thing it has is voice recognition, so I just say "Call D2," and it does.

I drove the car home, and it truly is a magic carpet.  One of my old office roomies, Mark, was a real car buff.  He used to say that Lexus cars were "appliances."  They were solid, dependable, and boring.  That's perfect for me -- I don't plan on racing down Old Cutler Road too often.

So hopefully the next three years I get to glide smoothly by, listening to XM music, and having a nicely comfortable tuches...What more could one want from a new ride?

No comments: