Wednesday, March 15, 2017

The Saudi Billionaire -- Who Cares?

So Wifey and I were watching the news yesterday evening, before leaving for Captain's Tavern.  The plan was to take two cars to the restaurant -- we'd enjoy our Tuesday night lobster tails and then Wifey would head off to Baptist Hospital to visit her mother, now admitted with a leg infection.


The old woman fell, and only got a bruise -- so we thought.  Turns out she got a cut, and oral antibiotics didn't heal it, so she's consuming some of the expensive health resources all 90 somethings seem to get in their final years.  As it turned out, I had two martinis and ended up going with Wifey, and getting some laughs as Wifey simulated putting the pillows over her wildly annoying mother's face, instead of behind her neck.


Her mother's voice, never melodic, has morphed into exactly the same voice as Danny DeVito's mother in "Throw Mother From the Train." I keep hearing the infamous Owen! Owen!" as a bad earworm.


But back to the news...So President The Donald was on, hosting some Saudi Prince, Prince Two Dogs Humping bin Ladin, I think his name was.  Wifey googled the guy and learned he was worth FAR more than the Donald -- something like $12 billion.  She started reading aloud all about the guy.  I cut her off...


I couldn't care less about these Mideast Royals.  As I told Wifey, they're simply the luckiest SOBs in the world -- primitive men living in the desert who happened to live above oil reserves.  The West came in, cut deals with them, and made them absurdly rich.  To me, that doesn't bear study.


Bill Gates created something, and became rich.  Warren Buffet, too.  Elon Musk.  These guys are fascinating and worthwhile.  The Saudi dudes?  They're as interesting as trailer trashy folks who happen to buy a winning lotto ticket.  I admire their luck, but I have zero interest in them.  How have they improved the world?


Back to the hospital...the old woman went on and on about how terrible it was in the ER.  She called a nurse to use the bathroom, and the woman IGNORED her.  Ha.  She was probably dealing with a heart attack, or bleeding wound, and didn't come running.  Imagine that.


Now my mother in law is in an observation unit, and loves the attention.  The Latina nurses think she's adorable." I told each of them she is free to a good home -- or any home.  They thought I was kidding.


Dr. Barry texted, asking after her, and wondering what antibiotics she was on.  I told him Vancomycin -- he cautioned they need to be careful, as 92 year old kidneys might be sensitive to that.  I told him to mind his own patients' business.


Wifey and I are due to go to NYC Friday, and Wifey is concerned about going if the old woman needs surgery for her wound.  I think she'll be out of Baptist in a day or so.  I hope I'm right -- or I'll be making the second consecutive D2 visit as a single Dad.


Then again, if I had the Saudis money, I could fly Wifey up and back privately.  Oh well...

No comments: