Tuesday, February 7, 2017

The Heat is Backv

Well, so much for our lovely, cooler Miami winter weather.  Today and tomorrow record or near record heat is upon us.  I guess it's an occupational hazard of living in the tropics.

So all is well in the 305.  We're just sort of planning to coast through the Spring and Summer, as we near D1's Big Fat Colombian wedding.  She's done most of the preparation already, with the assistance of two fine young planners, who gave her a very fair price.

Since D1 was compelled to be a bride's maid a few times too many, she has dispensed with that whole part of the wedding scene.  Only her sister will be her "bridal party," and she's also avoiding the whole shower thing.  This is just as well -- Wifey ABHORS bridal and baby showers -- after attending about 10 over the years, she wonders how many silly games the hostesses can come up with.

D1 is planning a get together in April for some close friends and their dogs -- it's apparently called a Barklarette party.  I admire her dogged independence...

Wifey's leg is getting better.  I came home from the office early today to see her at her usual spot outside -- cleaning up the beds.  The strange rescue dog and the spoiled Spaniel were with her -- the rescue was whining at her new friend -- Ernie the tortoise.  Out next door neighbors bought him, and the thing is downright FRIENDLY...he comes over and makes funny turtle grunts at Wifey, and the rescue dog wants to get through the fence to hang with him, too.  Ernie is a pleasant new addition to the hood.

We have to fight the tendency to act old, though.  I saw that the Pretenders are playing Miami Beach in March.  I asked Wifey if she wanted to go -- she really digs them, as I do.  But the show starts at 9 on a school night -- so Wifey is reluctant.  She doesn't need to wake up early the next day, or anything, but still...this is now up for discussion...

I saw Chrissis Hynde being interviewed recently, and she was still in fine voice.  When I was in high school, the Pretenders were big -- and I never saw them.  I guess now is the time -- before they end up playing gigs in nursing homes.

The other Heat, our NBA team, is making an improbable playoff run.  They've won 11 straight.  It's nice to follow, but I won't be making the same mistake I made last year -- paying my office roommate an exorbitant premium for his tickets in order to see a playoff game.  I was willingly ripped off by the guy, and to this day I can't stand him.  Plus, he's proven to be one of the cheapest dudes I've ever been around -- we've all paid for lunch at one time or another -- except him.  That's ok --he can see any playoff games this year all by himself...

So back to the weather type of Heat.  Cooler temps are due back -- I look forward to evenings with my fire pit.  For now, though, that would be silly...

No comments: