Monday, August 29, 2016

The Coming Days of Awe

So the news came via text Saturday, while Wifey and I were at the Falls theater watching "War Dogs:" 2 Hurricane players were kicked off the team for doing stupid stuff. I knew it meant that the season was about to begin -- the Days of Awe, as I call them. Of course, Days of Awe refer to the Jewish High Holidays. But since my foray into organized religion has waned, I appreciate and know about the Jewish ones, but don't really participate. This year, during Rosh Hashonah, we'll be at sea in the Canadian Maritimes. The trip also has us missing the biggest Canes home game -- against FSU. Hopefully there'll be satellite TV on the Crystal ship. Speaking of travel, D1 called this am, on the highway in Spain between Sotogrande and Seville. She and Joey are spending a night there, and then heading for Granada, where they'll tour Alhambra, the famous palace. D2 is headed to Atlanta for a reunion with her college friends for Labor Day. Wifey and I will get the T shirts... Speaking of Wifey, her life has improved greatly this week. She found an aide for her mother -- a lovely Honduran lady named Grace. Grace is kind and passive -- so far she digs my suegra vieja, and the old woman likes her, too. Hopefully Grace will be a long term answer to the very bored almost 92 year old... People come, people go...My friend Jeff's Dad died last night. I always really liked him. He was a dentist, who retired on disability because of a bad back, and then became a stockbroker. He retired from that, too. His parents lived into their mid 90s, and Jeff's Dad always assumed he would, too. Alas, he passed at 79, and the funeral will be this week. I feel for Jeff. Very few of our friends have both living parents. Strangely, Wifey's two best friends Edna and Jeannette have surviving parents -- all 4 in their 90s. My friend, Loni, too. But most of us are orphans, or half orphans. So the Canes season is upon us, and as the old Hank Williams junior song went, I AM ready for some football. My friends and I gather -- and laugh, drink, and watch our beloved team. We're not expecting anything great this year -- but the tailgates WILL be -- that's guaranteed. The Days of Awe approach...

No comments: