Monday, August 22, 2016

First Day of School/Back to Work

So today is the first day of school in Miami, a day I long ago gave the abbreviation FDOS. I used to love FDOS, when the girls were school aged. Wifey and I would walk them in -- first to Leewood Elementary, then Palmetto Middle, and finally, well by high school time, we were kept the hell away. Actually, Middle School, too, but I like to embellish the memory... None of the dunces had failed yet. The trouble makers hadn't gotten suspended yet. None of the drama, especially that unique to tween girls, had started yet. It was just a day of clean halls and sparking optimism. Those days are long gone -- Wifey and I are ready to start again -- with grandkids! Meanwhile, we had a banner weekend. D2 was due in around 7:30 Friday night, and as per her usual interface with air travel, was delayed. Wifey and I fetched her around 845 and drove to Doral, where they opened a Dragonfly -- a Gville restaurant we frequented during the Ds' combined 9 year tenure. We met D1 and her man Joey, and toasted the reunion. Saturday D1 came by, and the Ds invited me for a father/daughter mani pedi day. We watched some of the Olympics while the chatty Vietnamese women worked their way -- my scaly, grotesque man-feet were transformed to those of a veritable foot model. My ancient mother in law was over, dealing with her latest snow globe-like issues, and we endured, I mean, enjoyed, her visit. We then reconvened with Joey at a place called Crust -- Italian owned and run by Macedonians on the Miami River. I'm a sucker for places in gentrifying 'hoods, and this fit the bill. D2 described the place as GAF -- which stands for Ghetto as F#4k. It is actually in transition. The place was packed, and the portions comically huge. And the prices were Olive Garden-like, but for REAL food. We loved it. I spied a mediator I know -- we compared notes on FaceBook the next day, and it turned out 2 other lawyers I know were also in attendance. So I guess we tend to flock, sometimes... Sunday we fetched the suegra, and took her to the Falls, to buy her a new mattress and box spring. She's so obstinate and obnoxious -- a real know it all, in declining cognition. Still, Mike and Loni happened to be in Macy's -- just back from a Hawaiian vacation, and we had a mini reunion sitting on the mattresses for sale. D2 and D1 said their goodbyes -- and then D2' friends Tara and Corey came by. Corey's in his last year getting his Accounting degree at FSU -- Tara's a 3L there. We had great discussions about politics, and other world affairs. Wifey and I left the younguns alone, and they talked into the wee hours. Today I played Dadber -- which is Uber where Dad drives. I took D2 to two appointments, and then Wifey joined us for the drive to MIA. It's FDOS, but for D2 it's back to NYC and work, tomorrow. But we already have our tickets for our visit October 1, and D2 booked her way back here for Thanksgiving. Last year we flew up to the City -- this year we'll stay closer to home. So my Ds have gone from babies to businesswomen -- right before our eyes. We're so blessed with them. Wifey and I gave D2 a "family hug" as we dropped her at MIA. First day back to work! That's an exquisite day, too.

No comments: