Thursday, May 12, 2016

Naggers (con't)

So no sooner do I whine about annoying people, than I get DRENCHED in a storm of new ones! Serves me right -- I ought to just shut up about the negative. First off, the Miami Heat. I haven't been to a game since before Lebron, but realized how much Wifey enjoys the playoff games, and decided it was time to go. My office roommie, who I'll call John, since that's his name, mentioned that he has extra tickets. So I went on line and found that lower bowl playoff seats cost $250 each. John has them, and paid $80 apiece for them. John is in his 70s, and apparently a successful, semi retired guy. He mentioned he moved because his Coral Gables real estate taxes were near $50K -- this translates to a $4M house. He moved in a few months ago, as a sub tenant of our sub, sub tenant, and is enjoying cheap rent. I've paid for his lunch several times. That will now end. I told him to tell me how much he wanted for the tickets, and assumed he would say what I would -- "Just give me what I paid." No - I REALLY assumed he wold give them to me, as I would to him -- as my friend Norman did with his Panther tickets last month, when he couldn't use them. Ha. As if! He told me to cut him a check for $500. I now know EXACTLY who I'm dealing with in the future. Not a bad guy, or unethical one. In fact, he enjoys a decent reputation as a middle of the pack, semi retired lawyer. But the free lunches have ended. Then, I got a certificate from my beloved U -- thanking me for "19 years of giving." I scratched out the 19, wrote "30" and returned the certificate in the self addresses, stamped envelope they included to allow me to "make this year's gift." I got an email from a "Development OFfice" (why can't they just say "giving" or "charity") who said I was "an exceptional alumnus" and there would soon be a "corrected" certificate. And then he added a fatal mistake -- a printout of all gifts from me and my law firm since 1984. The total: close to $150K. Other than the gifts I HAVE to give to keep my football tickets, I think I'm saying "Dayenu, or enough. I wanted to pay back the scholarships they gave me, which total probably $7K. Done, and in spades. I no longer earn the big bucks. I feel I have well and properly acquitted my duties to my beloved alma mater. And finally, there was the clergyman, who I have likewise supported too generously. My partner Paul reminds him that in our more than 2 decade friendship, it's remarkable that he has never referred us a single client, and yet is very smooth and good at asking for donations all the time. Well, the opportunity arose: a wealthy congregant needed an attorney. Our man took the high road, and gave the congregant several names, one of which was our co-counsel. It appears the client will NOT pick our group. The Naggers strike again. That's ok. This should be my biggest problem. But I sure see the wisdom of the best bumper sticker of the 70s: "Gas, grass, or ass -- no one rides for free." If they DO ride for free, they become, eventually, very annoying.

No comments: