Saturday, May 14, 2016

Let's Go Heat

So with the $500 pair of tickets in my pocket, Wifey and I drove to my office, parked there, and planned to meet Dr. Barry at Trulucks. Alas, he decamped home early, or tried to. He got stuck in traffic, and called to ask where that awesome pizza by the slice place was. It is in D1's building, and he found his way there. D1 met him, and watched him eat 2 enormous slices. I was happy to hear that -- the story about Dr. Eric's staff member's husband killing himself after he got skinny frightens me, and I don't want to see any friends meet that sad fate... Pat texted that he was at a place called American Social, in the river, and so we walked over to meet him. We crossed the old Tobacco Road lot, and I was greeted by the long time attendant, who I always tipped well. "Where ya been, Mon?" he asked in his great Jamaican accent. I pointed to the big gap where the Road used to be. He said they were trying to open a 2.0 version in the same area. I told him I'd be there if they did. The Social scene ha! was fine, except that Wifey, Pat, and I were clearly the oldest there. I had three martinis, Pat drank beer, and Wifey went wild with the lemons in her water -- I counted 4 ! that she added. We shared a great flat bread, and left for the AAA a bit after 7. We got on the People Mover at its newly opened City Centre stop (you can tell the coming place is going to be classy based on the spelling of center), and D2 Facetimed with us. I gave her a taste of the evening, as she walked home in Murray Hill -- introducing her to a random young man who smiled like he must deal with an embarrasing Dad, too. We found our seats, which were excellent, and came with white playoff T shirts. And then John came in, and the Larry Davidesque part of the night ensued. His wife was behind him. The Donald got in trouble discussing less than attractive women, so I'll just say the lady could have been Rosy O'Donnell's Mom -- except with a deep scowl. She walked over to us, never said hello or introduced herself, and proclaimed that we would have to move, since her son was coming, and he liked a certain seat. We moved, but apparently to the wrong side. "No!" she said. I said (remember, I have never met this beast, nor been introduced, "Where do you want us?" She pointed to what would have been the worst two seats -- in the middle of the section -- and Wifey and I complied. As John walked past, I put my hand on his shoulder, and said "I feel for you, man. My wife at least introduces herself and gets to know people before she bosses them around." He smiled wanly -- Dude obviously has a very heavy cross ha! to bear... Wifey and I watched the game. The Heat and Raptors are probably the two crappiest playoff teams I've ever seen -- missing layups, bobbling easy passes, etc...The Heat were less crappy, and won the game. Wifey asked if I'd ever get season's tickets. No -- I really only care about the Canes enough to go to games. I wish the Heat well, but I won't feel it deeply if they end their season on Sunday in Toronto. We walked back to my office, in the high humidity. Last time we were at the AAA, for the Who concert, we ran into D1's friend's parents, Gary and Barbara, and walked back with them. Same thing last night -- I've always enjoyed Gary and his dry humor, and Wifey and Barbara walked ahead and caught up about our total of 4 daughters. Wifey drove home, as the blissful A/C cooled us down. All in all a lovely Friday night, and one of perspective. When Wifey and I squabble, it's no fun. But after seeing at least one other lawyer's wife...well, I sure feel blessed.

No comments: