Saturday, March 5, 2016

Junior High Continued

So the real life version of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" continued, as Wifey decided she would NOT quietly accept being fired from her volunteer job by the bully Ellen. She texted her to ask specifically what rules she had broken, and then called using my phone so Ellen would answer. She did, and we put her on speaker, telling her I was part of the conversation. The woman was exquisitely hilarious -- the classic condo commando, because I said so, I make the rules --type of person. When Wifey asked her for details about Wifey's misdeeds, Ellen hesitated. She said that the observer from the Library Committee reported that Wifey gave "inaccurate information" about the program. Wifey disputed this -- Cindy, the observer, and she got along nicely, and all Cindy did was praise Wifey and the program. Then Ellen said Wifey was...wait for it...TEXTING while the kids were reading! This was an inexcusable crime, apparently. Wifey made it clear she knew Ellen didn't like her, and Wifey was no longer in her dog club, but Wifey planned to continue to volunteer on her own. Ellen said she could, but NOT WHEN ELLEN WAS THERE!!!!! This is when I took over the conversation -- asking Ellen if she planned to have Wifey arrested or something. No, but Ellen "would lose all respect for Wifey" if Wifey defied her order! I tried to talk logically, asking Ellen if it was acceptable for me to tell her when she could or could not attend a local restaurant, just because I had made up that rule. Ellen took on the tone of an annoyed teacher to misbehaving pre schoolers. I had a flashback, to an experience I had with my Mom's former best friend, Mae Yates, who, after a flood, accused my mother of fraud -- as if my mother caused the water heater in the unit above to leak. Why? Because Mae was the boss, was why, and she didn't approve of the Kings Point insurance having to pay the claim. In fact, Mae had messed up by failing to require the unit owner to have coverage, but now it was my Mom's fault. I'm pretty sure I called the then 80 something a "See You Next Tuesday,", among other epithets. I felt the same way about this latest bully, but I refrained. Ellen hung up, again vaguely threatening Wifey against showing up. It was like an old western -- "this dog program at Pinecrest Library ain't big enough for the two of us." But Ellen tried to bully the wrong victim. Wifey got a hold of Cindy, the observer, and asked her thoughts. Cindy loved Wifey, and was horrified by Ellen's behavior and actions -- agreeing volunteers should be ENCOURAGED and not bullied away. And Cindy has power -- she's on the committee that advises the County Commission about all matters library -- and Cindy is also a long time librarian at South Miami High. She knew exactly Ellen's type of petty dictator -- and she planned to have Ellen censured! So the tempest in the dog teapot rages on. I've always taught the Ds you can't give in to bullies -- unless they're armed. If Ellen shows up at our house with a 9mm -- Wifey will definitely stay away from the library on the first and third Saturdays of the month. But I think that unlikely. Rather, she'll blow her own gasket. Bo WILL do his work -- bullies aside. And Wifey will be free to go to our Village's library whenever she chooses -- Ellen's wishes or not!

No comments: