Monday, September 14, 2015

The Wisdom of the Snow Bird

For years, I made fun of the snowbirds, the typically middle class, Jewish Northeasterners who wintered in South Florida, and went North for the hot months. I now get their wisdom. Today is Rosh Hashonah, and Wifey and I are taking a pass at going to services. I did, religiously -ha!-for several years, but the truth is, I am so much my father's son -- not a religous guy. Wifey likewise grew up proud to be Jewish, but never attending services, and now that we completed the mandatory educations of the Ds, we revert to our default position. I honor my landsmen and landswomen by not working today, and I won't eat or experience pleasure on Yom Kippur either. But sitting for hours in a shul -- sorry -- it just ain't me -- at least for now. So, out of the air conditioned shul, Wifey directed me to replace some flower pots the tree trimmers had moved. There weren't many -- about 10, but simply schlepping them across the pool area, I became soaked in sweat. It's 92 degrees out, and 150% humidity. Meanwhile, D2 called from the streets of NY, where it was 70 and clear and dry. Autumn in NY -- the best weather there of the year. So maybe someday we'll do what we now wish -- have at least a month in North Carolina from June through September -- probably earlier than later so as not to miss Canes games. We got invited to a few Rosh Hashonah dinners, but politely declined. Instead, we took my mother in law to Soyka's yesterday -- she loved the matzah ball soup, and roast chicken. Soyka is very loud during Sunday brunch, so my mother in law's voice, not exactly of the soft, nightingale variety, was tolerated well. Tonight we'll head to Lots of Lox, probably, for some Ashkenazi soul food -- maybe brisket and good soup. Wifey finally had a breakthough with her stubborn mother -- she will at least consider a move to a local ALF. The Ds volunteer at a great place on Miami Beach -- it's positively crawling with Holocaust Survivors -- and they think their grandmother would love it there. Wifey called, and will follow up post Yom Kippur. Her mother really needs to no longer live alone. Today the PT told Wifey the a/c wasn't working, and when Wifey spoke to her mother about it -- was rebuked: "I'm fine! I let you know ven I get too hot!" So maybe the new year will bring some positive changes on the front of the too old... In the mean time, I plan to stay inside, where it's cool, and hope for an early cool front. We had one after Hurrican Wilma, 10 years ago. The nights were positively delicious -- the lack of electricity and a/c wasn't a problem. We ate some apples dipped in honey last night, and toasted with them for a sweet new year. May it be so, and cooler soon, too.

No comments: