Monday, September 21, 2015

The Nobility of the Notary

It was another banner weekend in the 305, the last one of Summer, although the heat doesn't appear to be fading any time soon. Friday night, Wifey and I drove through quite a squall, to meet my sister of another mother Mirta at Canton, our longtime Chinese place. For old time's sake, I ordered the "Special Steak," which comes out sizzling. My father in law used to love that dish, saying in his heavily accented English "Dis steak is SOFT. I only like SOFT meat!" As we chowed down, an old friend came in -- Darren -- a former Canes OL and now Miami Dade Police higher up. His wife Yoli was with him -- she's a 30 year public school teacher, who has been kind enough to refer some clients to us. I pulled my special deal -- had the waitress bring over their check, so Darren felt like the MAN. He already is. We chatted with them outside, and caught up -- I hadn't seen him in too long... Saturday, bowing to the need for diversity in all walks of life, I invited my inveterate GATOR friend Pat to come to the Canes game. Norman hosted, as always, an awesome tailgate, and Mike parked right next to him, so it was a great reunion of all stripes. I saw Amy and George, two friends I last saw in 1983. Amy lives up in Broward somewhere (I always confuse all of those casa caracho towns), and George was in Houston, Atlanta, and now back in the 305. He's an editor of the local business paper -- I hope to see more of him, The game was great for awhile -- Canes dominated Nebraska, and then we let a 23 point, mid 4th quarter lead slip away. We won in OT, but as we filed out of the stadium, we acted as if we lost -- major systemic problems with the coaching. Still, a great Saturday night and afternoon. Yesterday Wifey and I met my ancient in laws, and I got to once again notarize my father in law's affidavit to Germany to keep up his Holocaust reparation pension. It used to be a yearly task -- damn Germans and their efficiency realize the old Jews are dying off fast, so now they make you prove you're alive every 6 months. Still, he eked out, with help, a scratchy signature, and I notarized it. Each time I do it, it's my personal FU to the Nazis and their offspring -- now 3 generations later. I wouldn't bet there will be another affidavit, but who knows? I thought the old fellow was heading to that great Ashkenazi resort in the sky several months ago, and he's still here... Afterwards, we took my mother in law to a diner -- Jimmy's Eastside. Since Wifey messed up, and neglected to tell her mother we were going for lunch, my mother in law made it crystal clear she "VAS NOT EATING a TING!" -- so maybe next time her daughter would be better at planning -- and then promptly wolfed down half of Wifey's omelette. "Vell, I VASN'T GOING to eat, but I love eggs!" My friends are right -- there's a special place in heaven awaiting one who has such a suegra... But I did get to give another one to the Nazis... Afterwards, since Wifey DID plan poorly, we had to kill some time before dinner at her friend Cara's place on Venetian Causeway. We drove to Wynwood, and went to Panther Coffee -- a place that somehow makes coffee with a mouth feel like ice cream. We drank, and then I took a picture of Wifey with some Wynwood art behind her, which she appreciated so much she made me take down the post because she found the photo unflattering. Still, the dinner was nice -- Cara and her man grilled NY Strips... FU, Adolph!

No comments: