Friday, April 11, 2014

Taking the Fun Out of Fundraising

During my many years as a law firm co owner, we have hosted many fundraisers -- mostly for judges, and occasionally for other politicians, like School Board members. We always prided ourselves on making the events fun -- open bars, sometimes piano players -- always decent food. I rarely attend them myself -- with the exception of when my buds Mike or Norman have them. They also know the importance of making these otherwise boring events as tolerable as possible. Well, last night I went to one for a County Commission candidate. My friend Dr. Dave was invited by a lawyer he knows from his wine drinking club, and the lawyer is someone I went to law school with. Ken is a nice guy who went to school after another career (I forget which) and now looks to be in his 60s. He decided to host a party for a woman seeking to replace a commissioner from South Miami Dade who is a disaster -- Tea Part-like politics -- always voting against stuff for gays, etc... Her opponent, Daniella, is an Ivy League trained lawyer who has done a TON of community service during the past 30 years she's lived here. She's married to a succesful doctor, and so never really had to earn a living -- which further shows how smart she is. I thought the seat she was seeking included Pinecrest, but it doesn't -- the incumbent successfully gerrymandered our liberal leaning area out of her district. As I listened to Daniella speak -- intelligently --it occurred to me she's going to lose, and lose big. She's clearly smarter and would be a better Commissioner, but she's not LIKEABLE, and not at all ATTRACTIVE. The incumbent is sort of a female W -- dumb, but someone you'd want to have a beer with -- not be lectured to, like you would by a Kerry or Gore -- 2 smarter opponents W beat. I hope I'm wrong, but I seem to have an eye for these things. During the last governor's campaign, I sat next to Alex Sink at a fundraiser. As we walked to the car, I told my law partner she was going to lose -- she had a personality best described by my dear, late, mother "I wouldn't buy a dead herring from her." In other words, bland and boring. Sure enough, she lost to Rick Scott, a man who should be in federal prison for Medicare fraud -- who sure enough has been one of the most horrific governors in state history -- and in Florida, that MEANS something. So we'll see about Daniella. She said she was going to raise $500K for her campaign. We gave her $200, so she'll have a far way to go. I wish her well, but I see a huge flop. Elections don't change much from junior high school -- the popular and attractive kids win, usually. The election is in August. I hope the less than lovely candidate proves me wrong...

No comments: