Sunday, April 6, 2014

Service And A Party

It was a quiet Saturday in the 305...Wifey's bad back has reared its ugly head, so she's staying close to home, but I went over to the U to see Dr. Barry's boys Scott and Josh, along with their Aunt Phyllis and Uncle Marty. They were taking part in a Cancer Society relay -- something they do each year. Marty is a cancer survivor, and he was treated at UM's Sylvester Center, and so each year they give back. I met the group on the Tad Foote Green, and aread of campus where I graduated, back in '83. Booths were set up, and students walked around and around, slowly. I hadn't seen Phyllis in too long, and it was great to catch up. When I met her, she was barely in high school, and now she's a kick ass Broward County teacher's teacher -- only 5 years from retirement. I'll always remember her wedding to Marty in Vegas -- a year or so ago. Except NOT! They told me their 6th anniversary is coming up this summer... Anyway, there was a stage set up, and the students sang in a contest. Scott said he was going to sing -- even though, well, let's just say no boy group is ever going to recruit him for his voice. He got 2 of the Sylvester ladies to go up with him, and they got everybody dancing along -- even Sebastian the Ibis. They won "most exciting performance," and we all laughed heartily. Scott is an amazing young man. He's ranked 5 in his huge high school class, school newspaper editor, and, as I saw yesterday, amazingly self confident and self deprecating -- even on stage. I kvelled as I watched him. Afterwards we all went to the Rat, but it had closed, so we decameped to the on campus Lime, for some MExican food. I left, and they were headed back to the field until the 10 pm marathon cutoff... I arrived as D1's paino teacher was leaving. She decided to try to recapture some of her Middle School music chops, and hired a UM grad student for lessons. She followed him out -- plans for a movie with a young medical resident -- and then Wifey and I dressed for a next door party. It was our neighbors' 40th, and we finally met the wife. She turned out to be quite an exotic creature -- dark haired Jewish woman from Brooklyn -- accent and all! We stayed long enough to realize we were about the oldest ones there, and then enjoyed the 90s band from our balcony. I passed out, but Wifey said they played past midnight. Ah -- the youts around us...

No comments: