Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Rainy Day Lunch

I glided the man sized Buick to Brickell, and hit the office for some catch up. A few new clients called, and then I followed up with a few matters with Brian. Paul called, home from a week in NYC and D.C. and we decided to meet for lunch. He didn't want to drive Downtown, so we chose Soyka -- a great place on 54th Street. We ate and caught up on matters business and personal, and a hard rain started to fall -- a little unusual for early April. The rain let up, and I wanted to show Paul my new ride. I drove a few blocks, and realized I was a stone's throw from Miami Jewish Home. I dropped Paul off at the restaurant, and figured I'd stop by. But I couldn't do it. I visited 3 times last week, and I just couldn't bring myself to pull into the lot. I felt guilty, and deservedly so. My Ancient Mom is in the end game of life, and all moments are precious. She no longer has a good conception of time, so each time I visit she can't tell if I was just there or hadn't come for several days. Still, it's my duty as her child, and I fell short yesterday. Instead, I headed back to the office, before driving to a meeting with a client -- a favor for an old client. Tomorrow I have an early breakfast meeting, and I'll stop by MJH after that. Mom turns 93 in a week and a half. Will she see 94? It doesn't seem likely, but only the Big Man knows. D1 started the second of her 4 internships, and likes it. She works with UM dieticians, and is learning clinical practice. D2 continues to grind out classes...she's coming home for a pre finals break next week. She'll be able to go to the pizza party we're planning for her grandmother. The Ds are in their prime, and it's great to share the times with them. Mom keeps on slipping and sliding away...but I'll get over there tomorrow.

No comments: