Sunday, April 14, 2013

93

Ancient Mom's birthday was yesterday, April 13. D2 flew in from UF, and D1 and I fetched her from MIA. We headed over to lawyer Dan's office in the Grove, to sign papers. Though the Ds are young, I had Dan prepare estate papers for them -- including living wills. Big Man forbid they get used, but the Ds have something I never had -- trust accounts -- and the wills seem like a good idea... We planned to have dinner with Wifey, but then I got hit with sickness that came like a summer storm. I got chills, and weak, and my body pressed the "eject" button. Oy, as my mother in law would say, vas I miserable. The Ds and Wifey shopped and ate while I flirted with death, or at least would have welcomed a relief from this nasty virus. But, happily, it passed within 24 hours. I self diagnosed a norovirus or rotovirus. The Ds asked why I didn't call Dr. Dave, and I answered I figured I'd either die or recover, like with most maladies, and happily it was the latter. So yesterday we drove in torrential rain, picked up 6 extra large Popa Johns pizzas, and headed to MJH. The rain caused some family havoc about location for the party, but eventually we settled in the welcome lobby. What a gathering it was, for Ancient Mom. My in laws, their two helpers Marcia and Stephen, Mirta and her lovely granddaughter Karen, my sister Trudy and brother in law Dennis, niece Courtney and her kids Jillian and Dominick, niece Cathryn and her girls Hannah and Emma, and Hannah's boyfriend Billy, and of course Wifey, the Ds, and me. It was the first time in a LONG time that Mom had gathered for her all 4 great grandkids, 3/6 of her grandkids, and 2/3 of her kids. We ate pizza and cake, and Mom was...bewildered. She seemed overwhelmed and out of it. She didn't recognize, or at least couldn't answer questions about who the grand daughters were. At one point, she toasted with a soda and said "Happy anniversary to everyone!" She looked at me seriously at one point, summoned her best Olivia Soprano, and asked me pointedly "So what are you going to do with the rest of your life?" Good question... My niece Courtney wheeled her back to her room, and we all left for home. Wifey and the Ds and I talked about it, and concluded that although Mom was out of it, we all benefitted -- it's the right thing to honor her -- understood or not. And, as Mirta noted, she just might have been overwhelmed by all the people. We dropped D1 off at Brickell, and headed back home for some naps. Like hipsters, D2 and Wifey and I then headed out at 830pm!!! for the Wynwood Art Walk. D1 was doing her cognac gig, and we visited her at some way cool salon. wifey sat on a couch and played video jeapordy, and D2 and I ventured out down NE 2nd Avenue. It was packed. It was young. The crowd was most eclectic -- the antithesis of what you find on Las Olas or Atlantic Avenue. We found some gathering of food trucks, and toasted with smoothies. It was a glorious Miami night. We marvelled at all the murals on the run down buildings, and passed some spooky scenes. One fellow sat alone in a vacant lot, playing guitar and singing to an audience of --well, ghosts. We hurried past. Back at the salon, among the tattoed and pierced, D2 danced with the owners adorable 3 year old, Noa. She looked like the Ds did when they were little. She was wearing a ballet costume, and told us her entire dance and activity schedule. Life is for living, it was clear. It's for the young... So happy birthday, Ancient Mom. Will there be a 94? Wifey thinks so, and she's usually good at prognosticating these things. I guess we'll see.

No comments: