Sunday, July 29, 2012

Time for a Cool Down

Well, it's happened, as it does most years around this time: the heat of Miami has gotten to me. When the Ds were little, we always scheduled vacations in August, mostly for an escape from the heat. The two best were Alaska, and a Baltic Sea cruise, where I loved wearing sweaters while everyone home was sweating. This year, Wifey's bad back has reared its head, and the only traveling she could do was a week in Atlanta, to see her best friend Edna. Quadriplegia won't prevent THAT trip. But I'm feeling more and more that I need a few days away. Today's travel section has stories about visits to Alaska, Maine, and North Carolina. I'd love to hop up to those last 2, but a they aren't the best places for a single guy. Staying at a romantic bed and breakfast alone is downright creepy... The good news is that our firm's shared cases have some meetings and depositions coming up, and I may just volunteer to handle them as a pretext to get away. D1 is off to England this week, and she'll have some cooling in Manchester and London. D2 goes back to college the following week -- Gainesville is hotter than Miami in the summer, but surrounded by her great friends and the hubbub of starting her junior year, I don't think she'll notice the weather. That leaves me. As the heat is oppressive, I'm ready to fly the coop for awhile.

No comments: