Saturday, July 21, 2012

He Coulda Been A Contenda...

So as I can't seem to find anything else productive to do professionally except the law business, I've been spending more and more time in the law business. Over the last few weeks I've been helping the firm find a new secretary (they did) and trolling for new cases (in progress). Yesterday I had lunch with my former secretary and still friend, Mirta, along with another old friend and former client. We caught up, and spoke of family and kids and, in their case, grandkids. All I had to bring to the discussion were tales of my grand dog... Anyway, the old client told us about her step son -- a young man who has brought nothing but misery to her and her husband. One story in particular struck me -- the boy (though he's past the age of majority, he's no man) turned down an invite to a family weekend upstate, and instead invited his druggie friends over to the house for a huge party. They trashed the house and stole my friend's jewelry. When the homeowners returned, and confronted the boy, his excuse was that he HAD to hold the party, as his Dad and stepmom had left him alone and he was lonely... It was classic. The true province of the loser is creativity with excuses. A loser is better than anyone else at coming up with reasons for failure and disappointment. I asked my friend what plans, if any, the boy had. She told me he KNOWS he could really soar in North Carolina, but he never goes! Why not, I asked. My client the step mom screwed up her face, as she repeated his reason: "He says too many things keep him here." Also classic. In 10 years he'll be telling anyone interested in his tales of misery that he COULDA been something -- he COULDA been a big success, but for some vague reason he was "compelled" to stay here in the cesspool of South Florida. That's another mark of the loser, in my observation. Whereever they live -- it sucks. We said goodbye, and I felt for my old client and friend. I truly did. She loves her husband, but seems destined to be saddled with this failure to launch forever. Meanwhile...Wifey is ready to go up to Boca later today, to sample Dr. Eric's cooking. He's now progressed past his wine hobby, and is learning about craft beers. He's promised to unveil one that is 36 proof. Wow. Powerful beer. What'll they think of next?

No comments: