Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Not Even a Wafer Thin Mint

So my birthday eating orgy is nearly over. I'm meeting my old friend Jeff in an hour at Lots O Lox for breakfast, but I'm already done. Maybe just a coffee and bowl of oatmeal...

Saturday I gorged on the gourmet offerings of Captain Russ, on his lovely sailboat. Sunday night the Ds, Wifey, and D1's boyfriend Joel ate steaks at Smith and Wollensky on South Beach. It was a great night --major thunderstorms gave us a show over Fisher Island while we ate and drank.

Yesterday, Wifey and I took D2 for a farewell breakfast before her flight back to UF. We went to Wagon's West, and I thought --why not --it's my birthday --I'll have pancakes. So I did, and they were delicious.

I headed to the office, and Stuart took us all out for sushi. I just had some soup, and thought that was it.

D1 and Wifey offered a final dinner, but I begged off. No more eating! And then...

Stuart, Brian, and I gathered in Stu's office for "one birthday toast." But then, while we were there, Brian got a call from a defense lawyer: a case we got referred to Brian, which we hoped he'd settle for nuisance value, got an offer of $800K! It was Brian's biggest settlement ever. So there was a second cocktail...

And then Barry called, having just left the hospital. I told him to circle back to my office for a celebratory toast, which he did. The 4 of us sons of the Ashkenazim laughed and talked. Brian left, and then, somehow, hunger set in.

So I picked Burger and Brew, which started in South Beach and opened its second location in Mary Brickell Village. We parked, and went in.

I ordered the appetizers: mini fried corn dogs, fried onion rings, and then Stuart added deep fried pickles. We each had a beer. We each had enormous burgers. Then came their signature dessert: deep fried twinkies with vanilla ice cream.

We laughed at our absurdity. What an orgy of unhealthiness. To make things better, the parking garage houses an LA Fitness, and a bunch of the gym goers got into the elevator with us, all slim and sweaty...

So I ended my celebration of becoming 50 much the same as I probably celebrated becoming 15.

Where are the salads?

No comments: