Sunday, May 29, 2011

And Where Do I Go From Here

People in my world are all uncomfortable with the out of the ordinary. They want you slotted a certain way, like letters in a post office...

When folks learn I've retired from law, or nearly so, they get uncomfortable. "Really?" "You're FAR too young?" "What are you doing next?"

The truth is, the time is more than ripe to get out of the injury business. I know a bunch of long time PI guys going bankrupt, chasing after associate attorney jobs, or otherwise treading water.

A Federal Appeals Court came down with a ruling a few days ago upholding the constitutionality of a cap on damages in med mal cases. We were co counsel on a case 6 years ago that settled for $5M. That case now is worth 1/10 that amount...

Cases against rental car companies, once our bread and butter, are a thing of the past. One of our last big hits, a products liability deal against a car maker, would now be worthless under the Obama recovery plan...

Still, the know it alls DO know something: I am too young to contemplate my navel all day...

I have a meeting later this week with an academic Dean, in hopes of creating a position for myself at a college. I'm not too optimistic; colleges aren't looking to undertake new stuff these days, and there will be committees to meet with other committees...

A friend from Boston called today, to tell me about a new cupcake company looking for franchisees in Miami. I unfortunately have bad experience investing in a franchise, and that's about the last thing I want to do.

I figure something will pop up.

I told Wifey that I did have one dream --something I want to try in my life. I turn 50 in less than 2 months, and now may be the time: go to Key West, and stay drunk for 3 straight weeks.

I've never gotten past a day and a half, but I think with the proper effort and preparation, I could do it.

Wifey doesn't think this is the best idea...

So we'll see.

In the mean time, D2 is sunbathing out front. I think she needs me to bring her some ice water...

No comments: