Sunday, February 8, 2009

Go Lady Bulls!

My law partner and I are fortunate to be able to do charitable stuff in the community, and last year I met Patrice, a friend of my friend Steve the Cop who is involved with the Miami Northwestern Girls Basketball team. After we gave a small donation, Patrice brought 2 of the players and the 2 coaches to my office, and, now somehow, my partner and I are honorary Bulls.

Northwestern High is in Liberty City. It almost always wins team championships, and the students and faculty are proud of their team. My beloved Hurricanes have no fewer than 10 Northwestern grads on the team, and these young men will be the foundation of our building dynasty!

Anyway, Friday the Lady Bulls (apparently I'm the only one who realizes that a lady Bull is a cow, but no one mentions that) were in a playoff game against Miami High. Paul, our friend Lou from Philly, and I went to the game.

We had a blast! The girls are terrific players. In warmups, it appeared that the Miami High girls had no chance. Their team is mostly shorter Latinas, and the Northwestern girls seemed taller and more athletic. Alas, the Stings (Miami High is the Stingarees) were a mostly senior team, and it showed. They won, although the game was close. The Stings have one player who I learned was born in Cuba, but was tall and blonde. I'm guessing there was some Russian ancestry there. The girl was draining threes like nobody's business, and was a great ball handler, too. I'm guessing a school like Georgetown will salivate for her.

Some of the NW girls' parents were hilarious fans. One dad was on the refs the whole game about failing to call fouls on the aggressive Stings. "Ref --I've seen people ARRESTED for less!" That dad had us in stitches.

After the game, Coach George came and chatted with us. He's 50 and could pass for Denzel Washington's brother. He was a star player at Miami Killian, and then played for Rutgers. He's a terrific guy, and knows he now has a couple of empty nester (in my case nearly so) lawyers with a new, fun interest.

My partner is much more into and knowledgeable about basketball than I am. I'm a baseball and football guy. Still, I think we're going to end up spending some more time with this Northwestern team. Go Lady Bulls!

No comments: