Saturday, February 28, 2009

1/2 Century of Marriage

I'm hanging home, today, fighting a late Winter cold. D2 is up at UF with D1, and D2 has the cold, too. I guess there's something going around her high school...

Tonight Wifey and I are headed to our friends' parents 50th anniversary party. How amazing --1/2 a century of marriage!

Ron and Barbra are both Miami Beach kids, who went to UF and UM. Ron's an engineer, now retired, and their son Steve is my age. Daughter Dana went to UM with us, and has been married to my dear friend Eric since 1986.

Ron is one of the sweetest guys I know. In the 27 years I've known him, I've never seen him angry, or with a negative word for anyone. He absolutely ADORES his grandchildren.

Barbra is the tougher of the couple. She's been a devoted mother, grandmother, and wife. She's battled health problems over the years, but never dwells on the negative.

Tonight's party is a surprise. It'll be really great to see their reaction --how their daughter and son in law have put together this celebration.

I asked Dana for a gift suggestion. Her reply to me says it all about how her parents have made it to this milestone:

"Well, their favorite restaurant is Morton's Steakhouse. Actually --that's my mother's favorite, and my father likes whatever makes my mother happy."

There it is -- about all the relationship advice anyone ever needs. A man who, 50 years after saying "I do," still wants to please his bride.

Happy 50th, Ron and Barbra! May you have many, many returns of this day.

No comments: