Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Money Money Money

As we all know, the economy is in shambles. Our houses are worth 60% of what they were a year and a half ago, and it doesn't even matter, since no one can get a mortgage to even buy them! If we own stocks ( and I do, or did), their value has been sheared away like blades of grass by a lawnmower.

Last night, as I was pulling into my driveway, I saw my neighbor, friend, and broker, Pat. Pat, normally as cheerful as I am (and that's saying something!), looked most glum. His employer, Wachovia, was sold at a fire auction, and his clients have been calling him all day threatening to jump out of windows.

I had previously told Pat, essentially, that while the losses annoyed me, hey --it's only money. "I wish more people had your attitude," Pat said. He was so down, he didn't even mention his beloved Gators, until I brought them up. "Oh yeah --they have a big game at the Swamp against LSU." Besides, I told Pat, we live in 2 story houses --a defenestration (great SAT word, D2) would only cause a broken leg or two.

I don't know. When Wifey and I got married, we had a total of $9,000 in savings. My mother gave us (and each of my sisters) $10,000, which Wifey and I used as a down payment for our first house, which we bought for $86,500.00.

After D1 was born, Wifey quit work, and we lived on my $45,000 per year salary. We were wildly happy. We had our beautiful daughter, 2 lovable dogs, quirky and funny relatives, and friends. The Canes were winning championships, in what my friend Jeff labeled the Lawrence Welk years, based on their ranking finishes "Ah, one, a two, a one, a two..."

So now, 20 years later, there's more money (or was, anyway). The $86,000 house was replaced by the Village of Wifey, our med style Ponderosa. We eat fancier meals, take fancier vacations. I still dress, when my business doesn't require otherwise, like a homeless guy.

I used to give small amounts to charity, now I give more...I guess that's the sweetest thing about having more bucks...but --the happiness hasn't changed.

The stuff that gave me the most joy before the money came still does. I just wish the Canes were good again!

Ds 1 and 2 are grown, and nearly so, and still bring us so much happiness. We have even more quirkier and funny friends and relatives. Hell --my niece even married a standup comedian, and my sister Sue and I just ranked him about #5 in funniness in our family --so that says something!

So hopefully the economy under President Obama will improve. (Dad --are you seeing this --we're going to have a 1/2 black guy as president. Amazing, huh?). If it doesn't, well, we'll be out there, on the corner of Chapman Field Drive and South Dixie, selling mangoes. Brother --can you spare a few million?

No comments: