Friday, September 5, 2008

Road Trip

When I was a young teen, I had a strange fantasy: I wanted to be a PIP. As in, Gladys Knight and the PIPS. Those guys were so smooth, and great dancers, and seemed to have a great time performing. One of their best tunes was "Midnight Train to Georgia." It had the great line about going "back to a simpler place in time."

And that's what I'n doing in about 20 minutes! I'm taking a road trip with my dear friend and college roommate Barry, up to Gainesville to see our Canes play the Gators. It's the first road trip we took together since 1983. Well, we went to Chalet Suzanne in Lake Wales about 9 years ago, but that was with our wives. That trip doesn't count.

I'm more than a little excited about this. Some might dread the 5 hour car ride, but Barry and I have to solve issues about the medical negligence crisis, the upcoming presidential elections, our children, our careers, and why our wives don't appreciate us as much as they should.

D2 is coming along for the ride. I've already cautioned her to bring her I Pod, lest she rapidly grow bored of our conversations. She tells me she has a ton of homework. She'll stay with D1 --Barry and I are staying in a motel along with my law partner, his son, and some more friends.

Back in 1983, we travelled to Gainesvile, too, to watch our Canes. I returned to start law school, and Barry to start his senior year. Eric, who also went with his girlfriend Dana, returned to start medical school. Eric and Dana are going on this trip, too, but with their kids.

It seemed there was so much going on in 1983. Ha! The selfish studies of one 22 year old, and helping care for a widowed mother.

Now, I have a business, wife, 2 girls --much more to return to. Plus, Hurricane Ike is bearing down -- I may have to return to storm preparations.

All of that makes the road trip the more precious.

So --here we come Turnpike! There's plenty of cold beer in Gainesville. Life is grand!

1 comment:

susanhopkins said...

ER, excuse me for noticing, brother, but you seem to be having a damn good life!
May be time to publish Dave's Funny Crap, but some jealous bastard may give you a harsh review.
AS to "taking care of mom" reserve that thought- I think the fun has yet to begin.
HAve a great weekend- SUE