Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Matzah Man Is Comin' To Town

It's that time of the year again, when a Jew's thoughts turn to the unleavened.  The first seder is this Friday.

For the second year in a row, we have been invited to D1's suegros, in Shorecrest. They're Sephardic, which means the food is better than the Jewish soul food of my youth. It's tough to admit, as a card carrying Ashkenazi, but the truth is their food is truly superior.

More importantly, D1 married into an amazingly warm and loving family. Her suegra Jackie adores her -- the two of them get together often. Jackie has three sons, and always longed for a daughter, and in her first son's wife, Vera, and now D1, she is all set.



So Wifey and I will be driving up to spend the holiday with folks we truly adore.

Second seder we were supposed to be attending the Rolling Stones concert up at Joe Robbie, but Father Time finally caught up with Mick Jagger, and he needed heart surgery. They're going to reschedule the tour.

Instead, Jeff and Lili have invited us over. Lili is cooking, and I am bringing some fine wine -- we will celebrate together, but not with a formal seder. One is kind of enough for me, anyhow.

This year Easter coincided with the third day of Passover. They're often pretty close, since the Last Supper was a seder for Jesus, but it's nice when they completely overlap. Everyone is in a festive mood.

Meanwhile, I have completed 1/2 of my planned 4 trips. I have checked off Chicago and NYC. Coming in a few weeks are the Bay Area, and in May, Maryland. The Bay Area begins in Sonoma -- Ken and Joelle are celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary by renting a house, and taking us all on a passport wine tour -- we visit a bunch of wineries and sample the wares. There will be a total of 4 couples attending -- ought to be a fine time.

And then I have a rental car to take Wifey and me to Half Moon Bay, the town of my nephew Henry and his wonderful wife Valerie. And -- my sister Sue is meeting us -- we haven't seen each other in several years -- and we plan a great family reunion.

Then we have a graduation trip. Scott, my nephew of another mister, is graduating Maryland's J School, and we're going up to celebrate with his family. Barry has a great dinner planned in Georgetown for Friday night, and we have Friday to explore D.C.  We haven't been in years -- and Spring is the best season to visit.

So the matzah is ready -- I got a few boxes of the serious stuff from a few Chabad Rabbi friends -- and we shall break it on Friday.

I wish D2 and Jonathan could be with us, but they'll be sharing unleavened fun with close friends in NYC. Maybe someday we'll all be together full time.

No comments: