Thursday, October 27, 2016

C'mon...Baby Don't Ya Wanna Go.

So the traveling continues, for Wifey and me. Tomorrow we head to MIA and aboard a triple 7 to ORD .  We'll be meeting more than 30 Canes friends for a football weekend -- at Notre Dame, in South Bend.

I was surprised Wifey wanted to go, but I think the thought of seeing a piece of real Americana -- and Notre Dame's campus is that, appealed to her. Plus, even though she's not a real football fan, she does have a great time with many of the football friends. So it's off we go.

It's funny -- back in the 80s and 90s, Canes/Irish games were a big deal. Both teams were top rated, and the rivalry was fierce. This year ND is BAD -- 2-5, and the Canes are a mediocre 4-3. Still, for me, beating ND will make it a great season.  I hope we do.

Back in the 90s, my friends and I planned a guys' trip to South Bend. As legal fate had it, my law firm had depos set in Indiana and Michigan the summer before, so I got to visit South Bend.  I had a magic marker with me, and actually grafiti-ed a men's room stall -- "Beware the Canes."  I looked so forward to the trip, and that very same case got bizarre, and I ended up having to testify in Federal Court in Ft. Myers the very day all my friends flew to Chicago.

To my boss Ed's credit, and my forever gratitude, as soon as the hearing ended, he had his driver rush me to the Southwest Florida Airport, and I caught a late flight to Chicago.  I got to the hotel to see boxes of pizza stacked up.  Our friend Mike had insisted each man get his OWN pizza, and the leftovers were legion. I ate cold pizza and the next day we drove to the game. Alas, the Canes lost on a controversial fumble call...

Three years ago, we again played Notre Dame, in Chicago. Wifey sat it out, but I flew to Chicago, and we had a great dinner at Gene and Georghetti's, the venerable steakhouse. The meal was mediocre, but the Canes took over the entire second floor of the restaurant, and we had a blast. The game, at frigid Soldier Field, was also awful -- the Irish shellacked us.  We owe them this weekend.

Making the weekend even more attractive is the Cubs in the Series. Game three is tomorrow night, and the buzz in the city -- first Series visit for the Cubbies since 1945 --ought to be tremendous.  We're staying at the Drake, and I told Wifey the bar still preserves the initials Dimaggio carved in the bar -- his and Marilyn's. I plan to toast their eternal love...

Also today, I booked what may be our next trip -- NYC in early February. D2 turns 25 the Day the Music Died, and is planning a nice party for her friends and her. D1 is going, too -- we may visit Sammy's Romanian, for vodka, chopped liver, and the schmalty humor of the hilarious Israeli DJ.

The other day I passed a shopping center in West Kendall where we had a movie birthday for D2 -- she was probably 8 or so.  And now she's turning a quarter century. Ah, I am old...

Speaking of old, the ancient suegra has been quiet this week. Hopefully she'll stay that way while we're gone -- giving Wifey a nice respite from her antics.

So it's go Canes! And go Chicago pizza.  Since D1 announced her engagement, I've been going light on the carbs so I can be a svelte rockin' Daddy in the USA and salsa at her wedding. But the pizza ban ends, temporarily. D1 reminded me I could have a slice or two. Not happening.  But hopefully the Canes will be in fine shape.

No comments: