Wednesday, July 20, 2016

First Walk in Awhile

I really, really need to lose weight and get in better shape. My loving Ds have made this a recurring theme -- something about wanting to have a Big Daddy Grandpa around when they so bless me, and with D1 a licensed RD, well, having a fat Daddy isn't good for PR. One major thing is in the way: food is SO delicious, and I so love to eat, and I DON'T like exercise. I know this must change. I DO enjoy my 1.1 mile walk around the 'hood, and in nice weather sometimes do it twice. I've been avoiding that as well, given the oppressive summer heat. But Monday Wifey returned from the vet with OTHER fat news: the strange rescue dog Vienna is ALSO obese -- needs to drop 4 pounds from her thickness. And, this am, there was a lovely breeze blowing from the Bay. So I laced up the New Balances, and headed out. And it was fine. I plan to make it a daily or nightly ritual again. Vienna heartily agrees. I know my main issue is the food, and I will tackle that, too, AFTER this week. Friday we're heading to Anthony's Runway 84 in Lauderdale, for the best Brooklyn/South Philly style Italian. If you diet there, Vinny the manager comes over and smacks you in the head. But after Friday, I will begin to heed the advice given to Bobby in "The Sopranos" I could eat a salad once in awhile... Meanwhile, I continue to find new and varied ways to love Miami. For the past 8 years, I've been watching the construction of Brickell City Centre, the largest development project in Florida history. Swire Company, from Hong Kong, somehow assembled a total of 5 city blocks, and started building an enormous center -- first in South Florida with underground parking. They actually freezed the high table groundwater so they could build concrete tank garages. There are 2 enormous condos, office buildings, and the first East Hotel in the US -- an Asian luxury brand. The hotel opened, and last night some of my buddies and I went to the 40th floor to try out the bar there, called Sugar. My lord. You can see nearly to Lauderdale to the North, and the Keys to the south. I think I glimpsed Bimini over the ocean. And the fauna sitting at the bar? Well, it just reinforces that Miami seems to take the most gorgeous women of North and South American and attract them to one place. It was nice to look upon them as a kindly grandpa type. And now, hopefully, one who might hang around awhile...

No comments: