Tuesday, June 14, 2016

LI Memory Lane

So typically when we visit D2 in NYC, I let Wifey or the Ds set the agenda. This last trip, I was under the pull of nostalgia and memory -- I wanted to go back to the situs of my childhood. And so I did. After running into good friend Norman's sister and brother in law at the Centurion Lounge at MIA, I squeezed myself into the 737 aisle seat. As an American Gold (tm) member, I usually pick a "premium" seat, but this flight they were all taken, and I was assigned an aisle seat of the "standard" variety. It was absurdly tiny. Of course, the fellow in the middle seat was a Cuban guy who was offensive lineman sized, so the whole trip was a real back bender -- wildly uncomfortable. Still, I landed safely -- which is the hallmark of a successful flight. I checked in to the Affinia Hotel, and then schlepped some of D2's stuff to her apartment. I have adopted my old boss Ed's prohibition against schlepping. As he taught me, if you agree to schlep stuff for people, you become, well, a schlepper. My two exceptions are the Ds -- and D2 needed two pairs of shoes and some summer dresses -- I delivered these. We ubered to Midtown, and met her boyfriend Jonathan at the original Smith and Wollensky. I learned that neither is a real steak person -- a guy named Stillman picked the two names out of the Manhattan phone book, in 1977 when they opened. We ate well, but not great. We shared a porterhouse and a strip -- the strip wasn't worth its $57 price. Still, we laughed, and caught up, and enjoyed each other's company, And then I got a text from Alan, my disbarred lawyer friend, inviting us to the Lower East Side and a place called Buddokhan. D2 demurred. She recalled the last time we ran into Alan -- at Zuma in Miami, on D2's farewell from Miami dinner. Alan, 67, had a "date" who was 22. D2 finds this uncool. But Alan assured us he was with Ali, his adopted daughter who lives in Brooklyn, and her husband Chris, so we went to this South Beach-like place. We had great conversation. Alan headed to Belmont the next day and won big at the track -- so his NY weekend turned out great for him. Saturday I rented a car, fetched D2, and headed to Nassau County. First stop was Kwong Ming, our family's go to Chinese place, that opened in 1962, the year we moved to Wantagh. It was 11, and they didn't open until noon, so we opted for Circle M, also a venerable diner. Then we stopped at my old high school, so I could take in how ugly and industrial looking it is, as it always was, and then I headed to Charles Lane. I pulled up at the house, and was telling D2 tales, and then door opened, and a 70 year old Italian woman appeared. It was the lady who bought the house from us in 1979. She chatted with us for half an hour -- telling us what a wonderful life she had there, and how much she still liked and thought about my parents, who were "dolls" when selling the house. She brought me up to date about the neighbors -- many had died, of course. And she was getting ready to move now -- to be closer to her daughter further out on the Island. We left, headed for Jones Beach, and I asked D2 if maybe we ought to buy the house back, and she and her BF could live there and commute to NYC. She didn't think that was a great idea. We parked at Jones Beach, and it was blustery, and I bought D2 a hoodie so we could stroll the boardwalk and talk of life. We did -- and I recounted to her one of my favorite memories involving my Dad. We left, and took the Ocean Parkway East -- towards Captree Park, and then North to the LIE. we were headed to my friends Mark and Rita's house in Dix Hills. We had a lovely time on their sunny back yard deck. Their boy Joseph was home from his freshman year at Binghampton, and he and D2 actually seemed to enjoy our tales of our LI childhoods. Rita and Mark are so genuine and warm. Mark refuses to travel, and has ignored my many invites to come visit in Florida -- his last trip we went to Fantasy Fest in Key West in 1985. Rita said she'd try again to get him to expand his horizons this year. We drove back to the City, and I ditched the rental car, and then we ubered to SoHo and Jonathan's go to Mexican place, La Esquina, which is Spanish for The Esquina. They have a great DJ, and we took turns identifying the songs he played -- I was good with stuff until about 1990 -- and D2 and Jonathan took over for newer stuff. We ate fine food, and headed back to Murray Hill. Sunday D2 and I had brunch at Sara Beth's -- and then walked back to her apartment. We were going to stroll more, but the temps were Miami-like, and we just enjoyed each other's company and the air conditioning. The flight back was nicer -- this time I had a "premium seat" which let me extend my arms enough to read the Sunday Times. And my nostalgia thirst was quenched -- probably for another decade. But -- my 40 year high school reunion comes up in three years, and Dr. Kenny got me to commit to go, so Long Island is in the long term plans. But for now, it appears Manhattan will be the destination.

No comments: