Saturday, December 5, 2015

Holiday Decorations

And so soon starts Chanukah...and what have you done? Yes, the Festival of Lights begins tomorrow, and the laborious task of decoration falls on me, as Wifey is not into it. So I have to walk all the way to the corner of the garage, dust off the electric menorah, which has great sentimental value, but I can't remember what it is, dust it off, plug it in by the window, and remember how many bulbs to nightly turn on. I'll fetch the regular menorah, too, and if D1 swings by, we'll actually light some candles and sing some songs. I think that menorah might have come from my mother, as I am the only one of three kids who cares about the Jewish holidays, but I don't recall that, either. Still, it's nice to see all the Christmas decorations around, in the stores, and in neighborhoods OTHER than Pinecrest, which seems to have so many Jews and RICH Christians for whom lights are declasse to really put on a good show. But when I drive through Kendall, and especially West Miami, and parts of town near the Gables, there are plenty of lights. Working class Cubans really seem to do it best... My Rabbi friend has invited us to the Falls, for a public menorah lighting, but I think Wifey and I will take a pasadena. We enjoyed these events when the Ds were little, but now Chanukah means only Wifey and the Ds buying themselves gifts and telling me they're from me. I have zero problem with that, as jewelry to me sort of all looks the same. Apparently I hit it right this year with Wifey's bracelet, which will serve as her Chanukah, birthday, AND, maybe anniversary gift, though the last is still under negotiation. December 25th is, of course, the shining height of the season, the day we celebrate the birth of our savior, the one we worship, and whose grace brings light to all of us: Wifey. We usually celebrate by going to a movie, but this year, we're going to lunch instead of dinner at Tropical Chinese, since D2 is arriving on an evening flight from NYC. So D1, her boyfriend Joey, and Wifey and I will head over for some dim sum. I invited Dr. Barry, who will be pulling his usual "I'm the only Jewish attending in the PICU so will take Xmas week" job, and he has said if the unit is quiet, he'll cruise the Dolphin to Palmetto and meet us for some lunch. And then comes New Year's Eve. The Ds and their boyfriends are all invited to the same big party in the Grove -- rich friends who are getting married the next day. Wifey and I haven't yet made plans, though I flirted with the idea of scoring some VIP tickets to see PitBull at the big Miami celebration at Bayfront Park, but the thought of slinky young Latinas twerking us as the hour of the rising Orange approached changed our minds...Wifey's mind, anyway... The Ds plans made me nostalgic for NYE of '86-'87. Wifey and I were to be married January 3rd, and so for NYE we had our "rehearsal dinner" at our tiny first house. My Mom and both sisters were there, as were my inlaws, who seemed at the time so old, and were actually very close to Wifey's age now. We brought in Chinese food, and most of our wedding party attended, and we ate and danced and "rehearsed" to the humorous script I had typed up, calling my Mom MOG (mother of groom) and my mother in law to be MOB (mother of bride). The following night, the Canes played Penn State for the National Championship, and my groomsmen gathered to watch, and eat the leftover Chinese food plus brought in pizzas. The Canes dominated, but Vinny Freaking Testaverde threw 4 picks, the last of which sealed the Canes loss. Several groomsmen looked up from their gloom and asked if I was going ahead with the wedding. Wifey didn't think that was funny. Well, we did, and the Canes won 4 more rings... So for us, the Holiday season starts with T Day, and goes through January 3, our anniversary. This year the number is 29. Nearly three decades. Time truly does fly. But that trusty menorah still lights...

No comments: