Monday, July 27, 2015

For Want of An IPhone Tap

As I age, I find the quotidian activities of daily life more and more daunting. I mean -- not seriously so, like my ancient Mom did in the final years of her life -- but I tend to make more mistakes than the sharper minded youthful version of myself did. Today, I met Wifey and the Ds at Mt. Sinai, where my 90 year old father in law remains -- it'll be two weeks there on Wednesday. He came in with sepsis following an out of control UTI, which in the extremely old is much more serious business than it is for the take some antibiotics and pee more often younger set. He's getting better, at least in Wifey's view, and may be discharged in a few days -- back to MJH. D2 and I decided to stop for some dinner in South Miami, and we pulled into adjoining parking spots on 74th Street. I pulled out my IPhone, and went to the "Park By Phone" app -- D2 did the same with her phone and car. I emerged, after inputting the space number, telling D2 the App was "the best invention of all time!" It would cost $3.50 to park for 2 hours. Some friends of Wifey, from Central Florida, had some meals with us in South Miami, and were appalled at the idea of paying for parking. They claimed they NEVER did when they went out -- all of the restaurants they ever ate at were in strip centers, where the parking was free! How grand is that, they asked. Anyway, D2 and I ended up at My Ceviche, and the food was terrific and well priced. We each had some mixed ceviche, and bought one to go for Wifey. I tried something for the first time, too: a Snapple (tm) Diet Arnold Palmer. It was awesome -- I'm a new fan of sugar free iced tea mixed with lemonade. 45 minutes later, we walked to the cars, and there was a parking ticket on the windshield of my small Caddy. What! Must be some miskake. Alas, D2 did a quick bit of IT forensics, and realized I never pressed the "Confirm Parking" icon. I was an idiot. I was careless. I now owe South Miami $18. Since I never paid on the App, which would have been $3.50, I'm really only out $14.50. And, since the fine is for 18 -- Hebrew for Chai, I figure there's a bit of good luck there. I rather like South Miami -- always have. I can easily contribute $14.50 to their coffers. And, I have to be thankful I live in a place where the restaurants aren't in strip shopping centers. Ya gotta pay, if you want good stuff. Or, if you get old and careless...

No comments: