Friday, January 16, 2015

Human Nature

I guess I'm simple minded, but along with finding surprising examples of human nature interesting, I also enjoy when people act in very predictable ways. Such was my experience this am. As background, there's great news: Wifey's bad back seems to have abated sufficiently to allow our first overseas family trip since 2006. And although she opposed a trip to Israel based on safety concerns, she's come around to the idea. D1 very badly wanted to visit Switzerland, as her mentor and older friend Stephanie is an Art Basel exec, and travelled there extensively, telling D1 tales of Swiss beauty and luxury. So D1 found that the former Swissair, now called just Swiss, flies to Zurich from Miami, and also to Tel Aviv. It seems besheret, or fated, that we go to both places. And so yesterday D1 booked our airfare, Business Class for all 4, and Amex Platinum offers "companion fares"for Business. That's the good news; the tough economic news is that you have to buy refundable, full fare Business. The end result is that the airfare alone for my ladies and me easily exceeds the cost of the first several cars we've bought. Still, I figure since we haven't taken any big trips in years, we ought to splurge. The total cost of the trip will easily exceed my yearly young lawyer's salary from back in the 80s... On the other hand, I have a couple of tax free bonds maturing this summer. Instead of reinvesting, as I typically would, I'll invest in family memories. Funny how one can justify any extravagance... If all goes as planned, D1 will graduate with her MS May 1, we'll move her back to the 305, and then leave for Israel May 10. I haven't been since my parents took me when I was a boy, in 1969. I hear the place has changed since then... Back to the human nature story: I called my broker in the Grove, and asked for a check to be prepared, so that when the Amex bill comes, I can pay it fast -- like ripping off a band aid. She told me to drop by to pick it up. I took the elevator to the 19th floor, and a receptionist was there -- late 20s, Loni Anderson look alike. She wasn't rude, but looking at me, dressed in jeans and a gray polo, was dismissive. I told her I was there to see Vanessa, who is an assistant, and Loni called her, gave me name, and directed me to have a seat. Again, not rude, but not at all gracious, no "Sir"or "Mr"-- no offers of coffee or anything. Since I was dressed plainly, and asked to see an assistant, I assume Loni thought I was some kind of deliveryman... And then the broker herself came out, gave me a huge greeting and hug, and immediately invited me to her office. She gave me the check, I gave my obligatory Walter Mitty tale of needing the funds to pay off a 20 something Colombian mistress, we chuckled, and then the broker and Vanessa walked me out. It was as if Loni the receptionist was replaced by another person. She addressed me formally, and as I admired the view, insisted on walking me into the conference room to better see Sailboat Bay. She smiled. She was charming. She was borderline flirtatious. Again -- none of this is surprising, but still to me hilarious. A middle aged gray haired guy who's a broke ass doesn't arouse interest in a certain subset of young ladies, but when she learns he has money... So I hope Loni Anderson of Oppenheimer finds her guy. I have a feeling that he'll be well dressed, wearing at least a $20K watch, and looking the part.

No comments: