Tuesday, November 4, 2014

I'm In The Wrong Business

Having good Jewish style deli restuarants nearby is, to me, an essential part of a good lifestyle. We have fewer than we used to, but fortunately there are still four in pretty close driving distance. My favorite is Lots of Lox, which is owned by Greeks, but does an excellent job with deli, at a reasonably good price. For years, the local go-to place was Roasters and Toasters. But, alas, their prices have gotten absurd. Today, D1 texted that she was sick with the virus going around (I caught it from a banker friend, and then Wifey fought it off a week later). I told D1 I would bring her rescue chicken soup -- the gold standard treatment for a bad cold. I was lazy and didn't want to drive south to LOL, and thought parking might be tough at Bagel Emporium, my 2nd choice. I always forget about Mitch's Westside, even though they've very close -- so I chose Roasters. They messed up Wifey's phone order, which was ok, as Wifey called R and T -- their Roasters' owned sandwich shop next store, which doesn't open until 11. So I went to Roasters and ordered a quart of chicken soup, a tuna sandwich, and some rugelach to keep D1's energy up and sweet tooth happy. The bill came -- nearly $34! I leaned in to the counter lady, and asked how people pay those prices. She said she couldn't afford to eat there, but then gestured to the nearly full dining room. I guess the combination of being in upscale Pinecrest and proximity to the Dadeland office district is a winner . That did it for me. A got a call from a very large lawyer I'll call Glenn, since that's his name. He was hitting me up for money for the Crist campaign -- I told him I had already given too much. He checked the records and saw I had. But Glenn, a Roasters regular, said we ought to meet for breakfast. I told him I went to a different shul -- Roasters was too dear for me. He agreed -- he said it occurred to him he was spending nearly $20 for breakfast each day -- and he switched to the Emporium. Well, I said, he was welcome to meet Norman and me at LOL, where we were regulars. He said he would, after election day. So that's it for me at Roasters -- they toppled my tipping point. The soup was good -- D1 texted to tell me how much she appreciated it. But next pickups will come from LOL, the Emporium, or Mitch's Westside. Roasters -- you priced yourself out of my comfort zone, even for great comfort food.

No comments: