Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Pedicure

So D2 flew in Friday for the weekend. Her boyfriend's brother got engaged, and we're all invited to a big Parillada party tonight in Aventura -- sacred home to Latin Jews. D2 and I had a great breakfast at Bagel Emporium, and caught up about her MS studies, and Gainesville news. Friday night, D1 joined us in the Gables, and we ate sushi together in our version of Rosh Hashanah dinner. Afterwards we all went to Books and Books, and D1 bought her sister an early Chanukah gift -- a pair of vintage sunglasses which supposedly have some literary connection. Saturday, despite the still burdening heat, I asked D2 to help me clean out our garage. The floor of it is filled with stuff dating to D1's college graduation in '10, as well as D2's move back from 2 years at Yellow House, the idyllic but ill maintained house she and 3 sorority sisters shared for half of college. D2 offered a deal: if I agreed to get a pedicure, she would help, and even go with me to the hardware store or Home Depot, a place I used to drag her to when she was a little girl, in exchange for a trip to Toys R Us and Dairy Queen. I agreed. My feet, like one would expect of a non Metro 53 year old, are, well, gross. I inherited my Dad's athlete's foot condition, and since bending over isn't as easy as it was for a young man, I tend to forego clipping toenails until ALL three of my ladies loudly protest. Early in the am, as we were on the couch reading the Saturday paper, one of my feet brushed against D2, and she reacted as if it was a poisonous viper. So it was time to do something anyway... We cleaned out most of the garage -- Wifey fought back her rat pack tendencies, and acutally consented to things like flower pots with cracks from the Bush administration being allowed into the trash bin. We teased out some stuff for Goodwill, and D1 showed up after a Saturday shift at the hospital to cheer us on. We sweated and got it mostly done -- agreeing to reconvene in cooler weather when we would actually open some of the bins holding the Ds' grade school work, and further de cluttering. D1 went in for a nap, and D2 and I showered off the sweat and left. We stopped by the local transfer station, and then went to Goodwill, where we got ride of some clothes, dishes, lamps, and an unopened S'Mores making machine. Then it was off the the nail spa... The Vietnamese folks were happily working and, in their language, making huge fun of the "cows" they attended. D2 took charge -- this was clearly her bailiwick. She set me up in a massage chair, and my nail tech went to work. It was great -- I received a fine chair massage while she clipped nails, scraped off old skin, and buffed and shined. D2 got hers done, as well as a manicure to look spiffy for an employment fair coming in Gainesville on Tuesday. The techs let me stay in the chair watching college football on a flat screen while D2 was worked upon. MY feet do look terrific. We celebrated with a trip next door to the yogurt shop. Then we stopped by Ace Hardware, where I bought some water seal for my annual spraying of our primitive front door, to keep it intact. All in all, it was a lovely Saturday. The Ds went out for dinner, and I stayed home to watch the Canes anemically beat Duke. D2 made it home for the 4th quarter. Today we're setching D1 on Brickell, and hitting Miami Jewish Home to see their grandparents. Then to the Latin Jewish party, then to MIA to drop off D2 for a late flight back to Gville. She's due home again in less than a month, for the "Fall break" grad students get in October. And as for my feet" Well, they're feeling rather fly...

No comments: